[News] Openness/Sharing Success Stories, Impact on Authority

  • Subject: [News] Openness/Sharing Success Stories, Impact on Authority
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 16:17:54 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Economics of Abundance Workshop Notes

,----[ Quote ]
| I opened the workshop by introducing the
| participants to the idea that our present
| economy is based on the generation of
| scarcity, and talking about how we can
| promote individual freedom, social equity,
| and environmental sustainability by
| fostering abundance: the condition when
| all people, now and in the future, are
| enabled to live life as art.  For an
| explanation of these ideas, please see my
| earlier contribution to Shareable here.
|
| [...]
|
| The summaries above do not reflect the
| entire discussions in the groups, which
| were wide-ranging and very animated! Here
| are a few comments from participants:
|
|     "It was very nice to meet you and
|     everyone else last night. I really
|     enjoyed the evening, our discussions,
|     and the new thoughts that came out of
|     them." -Kelci. M Kelci.
|
|     "I felt very comfortable in the group
|     and appreciate the opportunities I had
|     to exchange thoughts with everyone. I
|     hope that one day you awaken,
|     refreshed from good sleep, to a world
|     where the scarcity of scarcity
|     enriches everyone. May all of the best
|     things happen from us." -Brandon Nash
|
|     "The workshop helped me to better
|     understand how my experiences are
|     constrained and enabled by collective
|     arrangements. This is a rare and
|     helpful perspective. It raises
|     awareness about how our world works
|     and uncovers opportunities for
|     positive change." -Neal Gorenflo
`----

http://shareable.net/blog/the-economics-of-abundance-workshop-notes

Guidelines for Group Collaboration and Emergence

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâm in the middle of a taking a course on
| Virtual Learning Environments (syllabus
| here), and reading a few chapters from
| Adaptive Software Development by
| Highsmith. It approaches the team-building
| and collaboration process from the
| perspective of complex adaptive systems
| theory, and contains some interesting
| insights in evolutionary development and
| creating environments where emergence can
| occur. Iâve created a summary of a chapter
| that Iâd like to share, as I think it can
| be valuable for many of us, and
| specifically for the community of
| practitioners around the junto concept.
`----

http://emergentbydesign.com/2010/07/01/guidelines-for-group-collaboration-and-emergence/

ECJ rules on reconciling data protection law with freedom of information law

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Court of Justice (ECJ), the
| European Union's highest court, has
| overturned a lower court's ruling and has
| said that a data protection law allowed
| the European Commission to refuse to name
| people who attended a meeting that settled
| a beer industry competition law dispute.
`----

http://www.out-law.com//default.aspx?page=11189

NeighborGoods Extends The Sharing Of Actual Things To The National Level

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in October, we covered a new sharing
| service called NeighborGoods. When you see
| the term âsharingâ associated with a
| startup, your eyes may glaze over at this
| point â but NeighborGoods is a bit
| different because itâs all about actually
| sharing stuff. Like, in the real world.
| Sadly, the site was previously only open
| to users in Southern California. But today
| brings its nationwide roll-out.
`----

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/30/neighborgoods-national/

Recent:

ISKMEâs Lisa Petrides: Open Education and Policy

,----[ Quote ]
| At the beginning of this year we announced
| a revised approach to our education plans,
| focusing our activities to support of the
| Open Educational Resources (OER) movement.
| In order to do so we have worked hard to
| increase the amount of information
| available on our own site â in addition to
| a new Education landing page and our OER
| portal explaining Creative Commonsâ role as
| legal and technical infrastructure
| supporting OER, we have been conducting a
| series of interviews to help clarify some
| of the challenges and opportunities of OER
| in todayâs education landscape.

A global teacher of 1,516 lessons and counting

,----[ Quote ]
| From a tiny closet in Mountain View,
| Calif., Sal Khan is educating the globe for
| free. His 1,516 videotaped mini-lectures --
| on topics ranging from simple addition to
| vector calculus and Napoleonic campaigns --
| are transforming the former hedge fund
| analyst into a YouTube sensation, reaping
| praise from even reluctant students across
| the world.
`----

http://www.physorg.com/news196868176.html

Openness, Radicalism, and Tolerance

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea advocated by groups like the Open
| Knowledge Definition or the Free Cultural
| Works crowd that there should be a litmus
| test for openness really bothers me. Deeply
| bothers me. What is the point of crying
| from the rooftops that some content is
| âOpen in Name Only?â Why must we, the
| âopenâ folks, be in the business of
| ideological purging like the politicians?
| If someone has gone out of their way to
| waive some of the rights guaranteed them
| under the law so that they can share their
| creative works â even if that action is to
| apply a relatively restrictive CC BY-NC-ND
| to their content â why arenât we praising
| that? Why arenât we encouraging and
| cultivating and nurturing that? Why are we
| instead decreeing from a pretended throne
| on high, âYour licensing decision has been
| weighed in the balance, and has been found
| wanting. You are not deemed worthy.â Why
| the condescension? Why the closed-
| mindedness? Why the race to create
| machinery like definitions that give us the
| self-assumed authority to tell someone
| their sharing isnât good enough?
|
| Why isnât the open crowd more open-minded?
`----

http://opencontent.org/blog/archives/1511

Junto: overview of concept, philosophy, and components

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://emergentbydesign.com/2010/06/29/junto-overview-of-concept-philosophy-and-components/