[News] A Look at Ubuntu Variants: Aurora, Satanic Edition, Netrunner

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Ubuntu Variants: Aurora, Satanic Edition, Netrunner
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 18:26:55 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Aurora is the new face (and name) of Eeebuntu netbook OS

,----[ Quote ]
| EeeBuntu Linux has been one of the most
| popular independent Linux distributions for
| netbooks for the last few years. And when I
| say independent, as the name makes clear
| Eeebuntu started out as a modified version
| of Ubuntu Linux â which is maintained by a
| nice big institution called Canonical. But
| Eeebuntu releases typically pack a number of
| customizations that make Ubuntu run better
| on low power netbooks with small displays.
| The latest release wasnât even based on
| Ubuntu anymore, instead using Debian Linux
| as its base (Ubuntu is also Debian-based).
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2010/06/aurora-is-the-new-face-and-name-of-eeebuntu-netbook-os.html

Ubuntu Satanic Edition 10.04 Features Stunning New Icon Theme And Wallpapers

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Satanic edition brings together the
| best of free software and free metal music.
| This is especially awesome if you are an
| avid dark theme fan boy. Moreover the latest
| Ubuntu Satanic edition brings in a brand new
| icon theme and some stunning wallpapers as
| well. There is a complete distro called
| Ubuntu Satanic Edition, but here we will
| concentrate on installing Ubuntu Satanic
| themes and other eyecandy in your native
| Ubuntu machine.
`----

http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/07/ubuntu-satanic-edition-1004-features.html

Netrunner 2 â Blacklight â A new release!

,----[ Quote ]
| The switch to KDE (4.4) came as a surprise
| to me.  I was very happy with the Gnome
| offering of Netrunner and thought it was an
| excellent grounding for future versions.
| Iâve never been a fan of KDE, whilst many
| users rave about the DE, Ive often said that
| I donât feel in control with it, it feels
| plastic and is far too Vistaesque for my
| liking.  Maybe I subconsciously yearn for an
| XP type DE or maybe it goes back further to
| Workbench 1.3, but my DE of choice has
| always been Gnome with a top+bottom taskbar
| and the more traditional menus.  Itâs worth
| noting that whilst the taskbar and desktop
| are obviously KDE, the menu systems have a
| very Gnome look to them.  Is this an
| intention by the devs to please both KDE and
| Gnome users?  Maybe, although I donât keep
| ontop of the latest KDE releases so Iâll
| stand corrected if its the default setting
| for the new version.
|
| With that in mind though the distro is
| excellent, speedy and simple to install
| (thanks to its Ubuntu origins) with very
| little fuss âout of the boxâ.  As I remarked
| previously, theres very little to find fault
| in Netrunner, although I still stand by the
| original comment that the name of this
| distro undersells its true potential.  When
| I was informed of this new release by email,
| I instantly thought of a net kiosk distro
| (since Ive looked at many distroâs since the
| original review)   Of course Netrunner is
| far from being a net kiosk package (although
| it will play very nicely on a netbook or
| limited spec machine) and also think the
| title since âNetrunnerâ implies something
| more net/cloud orientated, which compared to
| say Peppermint, its not.  Netrunner has menu
| links to Twitter and other online services,
| but instead of providing these services
| through Prism, they merely open up a new
| instance of Firefox (if one is not open, or
| simply open in a tab).  One has to ask the
| question, are they really needed? and if so
| could these shortcuts not simply be in a
| favorites menu within Firefox, rather than
| taking a desktop submenu up? â Only you can
| be the judge of that.
|
| [...]
|
| would ever notice itâs absence from
| Netrunner - unless of course they were fans
| of Gbrainy! ;) in which case they will be
| devastated!  What the removal of the Mono
| packages does do is free up space to include
| more popular products and that can only be a
| good thing.
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2010/07/04/netrunner-2-blacklight-a-new-release/

Recent:

Ubuntu Satanic Edition 10.04 (Luciferâs Legion)

,----[ Quote ]
| risen again and walks among us. Itâs
| chock-full of amazing satanic grace and
| charm. Highly recommended for Linux users
| who are tired of being goody two-shoes and
| who want to take a walk on the dark side
| of Ubuntu Linux.
|
| Rating:       4/5
`----

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2010/07/02/ubuntu-satanic-edition-10-04-lucifers-legion/

Ubuntu Satanic Edition 666.6 (Jesus' Jugular) Review

,----[ Quote ]
| We've looked at a couple of religious based distributions such as Ubuntu:
| Christian Edition and Ubuntu: Muslim Edition. But there's another version of
| Ubuntu...a dark and evil one. A version so hideous and so terrible that it's
| name is only spoken in whispers among Linux users...

Ubuntu Fiery Spawn Released

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://parker1.co.uk/satanic/ubuntu-fiery-spawn-released/