[News] New Material on/in Free Software Licences

  • Subject: [News] New Material on/in Free Software Licences
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 14:25:01 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Best and Free Programming Ebooks with Open Source Licenses

,----[ Quote ]
| Today in WebDesignish we are presenting
| very useful and recommended list of
| programming Ebooks with open source
| licenses, like Creative Commons, GPL, etc.
| The books can be about a particular
| programming language or about computers in
| general.
`----

http://www.webdesignish.com/best-and-free-programming-ebooks-with-open-source-licenses.html

Tracking Trends in Communications Software Pricing/Licensing

,----[ Quote ]
| A brief word about free, open source
| software (OSS) licenses. OSS gives users
| the right to modify and redistribute their
| creative work and software, both of which
| would be a big "no-no" with proprietary
| software. These free licenses typically
| include a disclaimer of warranty (no
| surprise there: what do you want, it's
| free software!).
|
| The idea of open source code is to make it
| easily available to the general public for
| the purpose of improvement, modification,
| etc., and it is released under the General
| Public License (GPL), Lesser GPL (LGPL),
| or other open source licenses.
|
| "Copyleft" (as opposed to copyright)
| software also includes a specific
| provision, that must be accepted in order
| to copy or modify the software; this
| provision requires users to provide source
| code for their work, and to distribute
| their modifications under the same open
| source/free license. See the Open Source
| Initiative website for more information at
| http://www.opensource.org/.
`----

http://www.nojitter.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=225701289

Recent:

Lower compliance costs with open source tools

,----[ Quote ]
| These are just a few of the many open source
| tools that help with compliance. I also like
| RANCID for network device configuration
| management and Nagios for IT infrastructure
| monitoring. Don't forget about the many IT
| policy resources, such as the templates
| available from SANS.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/60725

Opera moves Dragonfly to Apache for patent promise

,----[ Quote ]
| Opera has switched its Dragonfly open source
| debug tool to an Apache 2.0 license to
| include a promise that users are protected
| from patents owned by Opera or any other
| contributor to the project.
|
| Dragonfly - similar to Mozilla's Firebug
| tool - completed its open sourcing in
| February, when it was moved from Opera
| servers to BitBucket. It was originally
| under the BSD license.