[News] GIMP 2.7.1 is Released, First Look at It

  • Subject: [News] GIMP 2.7.1 is Released, First Look at It
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 15:58:08 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

GIMP 2.7.1 released

,----[ Quote ]
| Shortly after the release of the latest
| stable version 2.6.9 a new development
| version 2.7.1 is announced. Itâs another
| step to the next major release 2.8. Good
| to have a look but be careful since it
| might be unstable :)
`----

http://meetthegimp.org/gimp-2-7-1-released/

GIMP 2.7.1 with new user interface

,----[ Quote ]
| With the release of developer version
| 2.7.1, GIMP users and early adopters have
| been given the opportunity to preview the
| new features of the free image editing
| software's forthcoming stable 2.8 release.
| The most important improvement is the
| graphical user interface (GUI), which has
| undergone a thorough overhaul. For
| instance, it now includes a single-window
| mode which doesn't display elements such
| as the tools or layers menus in separate
| windows next to the image window, instead
| lining these elements up alongside the
| image in the same window.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/GIMP-2-7-1-with-new-user-interface-1031934.html

Recent:

GIMP 2.6.9 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been a while since the last release.
| Quite a few bug-fixes have piled up in the
| stable branch, so here's another release in
| the stable GIMP 2.6 series.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/46066

Album Shaper: Plenty of Oomph Without the Button Glut

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, I am impressed with Album Shaper. Its
| simply interface and uncluttered approach to
| menus gives the impression that it is a
| beginners-only app, but Album Shaper has a lot
| to offer shutter pros as well.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/70259.html?wlc=1277362291

The Beat Goes On: Open Source Multimedia Tools Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| First, a bit of theory on why FOSS often
| creates better programs for artists. It is
| valuable for artists not only to use the
| programs but to also, with a little
| programming knowledge, be able to make the
| changes to the programs and at least actively
| help to guide the design. Often I tell people
| one of the reasons why people write Free
| Software is because the programmer wants to
| âscratch an itch," to solve a problem that
| they have. Having a programmer who is also an
| artist means the artist can design into the
| program the features and patterns of operation
| that is best for what they are doing.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/321373-the-beat-goes-on-open-source-multimedia-tools-part-2

How will a fully GEGL powered GIMP look like?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.gimpusers.com/news/2010-06-13/gimp-gegl-python-plugins-lgm-2010-videos-en.html