[News] [Rival] "Gates Foundation still giving Windows away for free" (to Fight GNU/Linux Adoption), Show Comes Exhibits/Other

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] "Gates Foundation still giving Windows away for free" (to Fight GNU/Linux Adoption), Show Comes Exhibits/Other
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 22:01:14 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Gates Foundation still giving Windows away for free

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2010-06-28-022-35-NW-CD-MS-0000

,----[ Quote ]
http://www.gatesfoundation.org/about/Pages/terms-o f-use.aspx#system

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la- na-gatesx07jan07,0,6827615.story
| And when this was found out, their effective
| response was that it was too much work to try
| to stop investing in such companies.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2010-06-28-022-35-NW-CD-MS-0001

Recent:

New computer equipment proves popular

,----[ Quote ]
| âBoth computers are equipped with a range of
| software, including Microsoft Office
| programs,â Gardner explained. âOnly one of our
| old computers had the Microsoft Office
| software, and it was in constant demand. Many
| of the other library branches still have only
| one computer equipped with Microsoft Office.â
`----

http://rodeo.cincinnati.com/getlocal/gpstory.aspx?id=100125&sid=164587

"Microsoft decision puts public libraries at risk"

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, where some see a Microsoft
| blunder, others see a Linux opportunity.
|
| There are lots of ways to solve this problem
| under Linux, but none of the ones I can think
| of offhand are easy or automatic:
|
| 1. You can run your shared-access PC from a
| Linux "Live CD." It's impossible to corrupt
| the operating system, and you can get a clean
| start with every reset. Disadvantage: live
| CDs are slow; also ties up the CD-ROM drive.

http://www.goodbyemicrosoft.net/news.php?item.568.3

Microsoft decision puts public libraries at risk

http://windowssecrets.com/2010/04/08/01-Microsoft-decision-puts-public-libraries-at-risk/#story1

Microsoft Made Choices, Libraries Must Respond

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://myblog.latestrend.com/general/microsoft-made-choices-libraries-must-respond/