[News] [Rival] Why Apple is Like a "Cult" and Why it is Lagging Technically

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Why Apple is Like a "Cult" and Why it is Lagging Technically
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 22:04:57 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

A cult called Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| For some technical miscalculations, users are
| unable to get a good cellular reception when
| the phone is gripped in a certain way. When the
| complaints got to Steve Jobs, his reply was
| simply to "either hold it the way I'm showing
| you or get the case". Only problem is, the case
| comes at a damage of $29. Phew.
|
| I have been wondering a lot with all the
| massive publicity that Apple gets and the range
| of products it releases whether it is more of a
| cult than a company. Apple almost always
| releases completely locked down products with
| features that other competing products have had
| long before it and yet you have its users (I'm
| talking to you fanboys) applauding it
| incessantly.
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/06/cult-called-apple.html

[Humour] What can the Apple iPad be used as?

,----[ Quote ]
|  *iPad cannot be used as a phone because â..*
|
| â.. It cannot make calls. Period
|
| *iPad cannot be used as a replacement for your
| laptop or netbook because â..
| *
|
| â.. It does not have a multi-tasking OS
| â.. It does not have a Drag & Drop file
| management
| â.. It does not have a USB port
| â.. Its storage maxes out at a paltry 64 GB &
| has no expandable memory slot
| â.. It does not have a HDMI port
`----

http://lug-iitd.posterous.com/humour-what-can-the-apple-ipad-be-used-as

All-in-one computer sales up 63 percent (but Apple losing out)

,----[ Quote ]
| Appleâs all-in-one market share is expected to
| drop from 50 percent (in 2009) to 38 percent
| (in 2010). HP, MSI, and Lenovo are expected to
| gain where Apple has lost.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/07/01/all-in-one-computer-sales-up-63-percent-but-apple-losing-out/

Recent:

A Little Over A Year Later, Android Is Unstoppable

,----[ Quote ]
| The more you look at Android today, the
| more you have to think back to the fact
| that early last year, people wondered
| whether Google's mobile operating system
| would even survive.  There were countless
| columns in March of 2009 trumpeting the
| fact that only one Android handset was
| shown at Mobile World Congress that year.
| Now, Android is spreading out far beyond
| just the many smartphones it appears on.
| This week, Cisco announced a new tablet
| based on the OS, and that's just one new
| direction for Android.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/a-little-over-a-year-later-android-is-unstoppable

iPhone vs. Android: Five points of difference

,----[ Quote ]
| The iPhone is as proprietary as Apple can
| possibly make it. If you like what Apple
| wants to give you in the iPhone, you'll
| never notice.
|
| But, if you want more than what Apple wants
| to offer you, you're out of luck. Take
| Adobe Flash, for example. Adobe would love
| to let you view Flash videos and play Flash
| games on an iPhone, but Apple will have
| nothing to do with Flash. Short of the
| Department of Justice ordering Apple to let
| Flash on iPhones or Adobe suing Apple into
| submission, the only way Flash will show up
| on iPhones, or iPads for that matter, will
| be through technical kludges.
|
| Android is far more open. If there's an
| Android application out there, even if it's
| not in Google's official Android Market,
| you can download, install, and run it.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/16437/iphone_vs_android_five_points_of_difference

Linux Tablets to Be Headed in the Near Future

,----[ Quote ]
| As a matter of fact, word is that some Linux
| tablets are headed our way in the near future
| but they ainât here yet. And while I think
| that Linux tablets will do well, it also
| drives me to expect a lot from them.
|
| According to Jim Zemlin, the head of the Linux
| Foundation, it is necessary for mobile Linux
| vendors to increase their technical
| investments in order users could benefit Linux
| devices.
`----

http://www.toptechreviews.net/tech-news/linux-tablets-to-be-headed-in-the-near-future/

Kogan promises a sub-$200, Android based iPad rival

,----[ Quote ]
| Koganâs giving Android another shot with a
| tablet that has HDMI output, 512MB RAM,
| 2GB internal memory and SDHC expansion
| slot, ARM 600-MHz processor, and a 800 x
| 480 capacitive touchscreen. All of this
| wrapped up into a less than $200 package.
`----

http://androinica.com/2010/03/03/kogan-promises-a-sub-200-android-based-ipad-rival/

Resolved Kogan Promises $200 HD Pad

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been a while since we last checked in
| on Ruslan Kogan, the brains behind the
| just-about-released Kogan Agora Pro.  With
| a launch only a few weeks away, the
| Australian electronics maker pulled their
| Android handset back and quietly went off
| the radar.  So what is Ruslan up to now?
| Bigger, better things!Recently, he was
| found demonstrating a new tablet at the
| MediaConnect Kickstart forum in
| Queensland.
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/03/05/resolved-kogan-promises-200-hd-pad/

Need a tablet? Android based iLet Mini HAL shipping March 1 for $199

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://androinica.com/2010/02/26/need-a-tablet-android-based-ilet-mini-hal-shipping-march-1-for-199/