Re: Open source enterprise data center software development patent violation allegation brought down

____/ nessuno on Tuesday 06 Jul 2010 14:01 : \____

> On Jul 6, 2:41 pm, High Plains Thumper <h...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> [quote]
>> Jury Decides for Red Hat, Novell in Software Patent Lawsuit
>> By: Chris Preimesberger
>> 2010-05-03
>>
>> IP Innovation originally filed litigation against Novell and Red Hat in
>> 2007. The Acacia Research subsidiary accuses the two companies of
>> infringing on three patents that described technologies for sharing
>> workloads among remotely located computers.
>>
>> One by one, intellectual property lawsuits against companies that use
>> open-source software in their products are falling by the wayside.
>>
>> A jury in East Texas May 3 declared that user-interface patent
>> infringement claims filed against Red Hat and Novell by IP Innovation, a
>> subsidiary of Acacia Research and Technology Licensing, were "invalid
>> and worthless."
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Many in the open-source community have long considered Acacia Research a
>> patent-hoarder -- the main business of which is suing companies that use
>> open-source software to create new products for enterprise data centers,
>> a patent attorney who asked not to be identified for this story told eWEEK.
>>
>> In the 2007 complaint, IP Innovations claimed that Red Hat Linux and
>> Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop and Enterprise Server all use
>> versions of the software it said it owns.
>> [/quote]
>>
>> http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Jury-Decides-for-Red-H...
>>
>> orhttp://tinyurl.com/295btco
>>
>> --
>> HPT
>
> Yeah, and Microsoft is probably slipping them (Acacia) envelopes under
> the table...

Microsoft /did/ pay Acacia just /weeks/ afterwards. They signed a patent deal.
Groklaw posted an explanation about it after I had sent them the press release.

Behind every great computer sits a skinny little geek.
Mem:   2075800k total,  1660792k used,   415008k free,    12460k buffers