[News] GNU/Linux is Succeeding in he OEM Channel

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux is Succeeding in he OEM Channel
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 17:02:34 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux at HP: A Decade of Leadership

,----[ Quote ]
| While at the HP Technology Forum 2010, a
| particular breakout session stood out in
| that it was all about Linux. In fact, I've
| stolen the title of the presentation and
| made it the name of this article. Bdale
| Garbee, a very comprehensive and impressive
| individual (also the HP Open Source & Linux
| Chief Technologist), gave a talk on the
| basics of Linux and HP's involvement in it.
|
| He outlined the community development model
| (in his words: "no one company in charge; a
| range of contributors with varied interests,
| abilities, and motivations") and the freedom
| of choice ("users have flexibility in how
| they acquire support for open source
| technology; any user can become a developer
| or pay someone to develop or support... on
| their behalf; if 'upstream' ever behaves
| unacceptably, developers have the power to
| 'fork'"). He said that, to profit while
| maintaining the openness of open source, HP
| needs to add unique value that customers
| want to pay for.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/23509/Linux_at_HP_A_Decade_of_Leadership

Competion between Google Chrome OS and Microsoft Windows Heats Up

,----[ Quote ]
| There has been no official announcement from
| Dell or Google about a deal but âtalksâ are
| underway. If an agreement is reached Dell
| would be the third manufacturer to build a
| future netbook with Chrome OS. The other
| computer manufacturers that plan on
| releasing netbooks or other computers with
| Chrome OS are Acer and HP.
`----

http://netbookboards.com/2010/06/27/competion-between-google-chrome-os-and-microsoft-windows-heats-up/

Recent:

Will Dell Dump Microsoft for Google's Chrome Operating System?

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's (GOOG) Chrome operating system
| will be locked in a market share war with
| Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows OS when it's
| released later this year. Microsoft has a
| huge lead because it runs, by some
| estimates, on 90% of the PCs sold around
| the world. The success of Windows 7 may
| help cement that advantage. But the tide
| could be changing.
|
| Google and Dell (DELL) are discussing a
| deal to have its Chrome OS put on on the PC
| company's laptops. According to Reuters,
| "We have to have a point of view on the
| industry and technology direction two
| years, three years down the road, so we
| continuously work with Google on this,"
| Amit Midha, Dell's president for Greater
| China and South Asia said.
`----

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/dell-google-chrome-microsoft/19524202/

Dell is breaking away from Microsoft