[News] A Look at Absolute Linux 13.1.2 and Truly Free(dom) GNU/Linux Distributions

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Absolute Linux 13.1.2 and Truly Free(dom) GNU/Linux Distributions
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 17:54:47 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Absolute 13.1.2 Screenshots

,----[ Quote ]
| The Slackware-based Absolute Linux 13.1.2
| was release yesterday. Absolute Linux
| features the IceWM window manager which is
| very fast and lightweight. This version of
| Absolute has opted for the popular Chrome
| web browser where previous versions included
| Firefox as the default. Numerous other
| features, enhancements, and security fixes
| can be viewed on the Absolute news page.
`----

http://easylinuxcds.com/blog/?p=3736

100 % free Linux distributions

,----[ Quote ]
| On this, July 4, 2010, the day the United
| States celebrates the signing of the
| Declaration of Independence, I thought I
| would take a moment to celebrate that same
| day with a toast to those Linux
| distributions that shirk all non-free
| software. This means EVERYTHING on these
| distributions is protected under, at least,
| the GPL.
|
| There arenât tons of these distributions and
| some of them are threatened, daily, to
| disappear from lack of support. So it is my
| honor to hopefully introduce the Ghacks
| audience to these distributions.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/07/04/100-free-linux-distributions/

Recent:

Absolute Linux 13.0.2

,----[ Quote ]
| My experience with Absolute Linux was mostly
| positive. I like the idea of making Slackware
| relatively easy to get running on the desktop
| and I think Absolute Linux provides a pretty
| good amount of value for desktop users. Itâs
| not as slick as some of the other desktop
| distros but thatâs okay because slick isnât
| necessarily what everybody is looking for all
| of the time.
|
| On the whole though Iâd recommend this more
| for experienced Linux users as the install
| might be a little bit challenging. I encourage
| adventurous Linux newbies to explore and
| experiment with it but they should understand
| ahead of time that installing & configuring it
| could be a bit challenging for them if they
| run into a problem.
`----

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2009/10/13/absolute-linux-13-0-2/

Absolute Linux 13.0. with IceWM and PCMan

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/Absolute-Linux-13.0.-with-IceWM-and-PCMan