[News] New Examples of Open Science and Sharing as Mindset

  • Subject: [News] New Examples of Open Science and Sharing as Mindset
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 20:04:02 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Biocep R Project Brings Open Science to the Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| Using these tools, any number of
| geographically distributed users can
| collaborate simultaneously on scientific
| projects, using the same virtual machine,
| the same analytic tool, the same data.
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/cloud/2010/07/the-biocep-r-project-brings-op.php

Welcome to Open Source Law

,----[ Quote ]
| Since, as Larry Lessig famously pointed out,
| "code is law" (and vice versa), it's natural
| to try to apply open source methodologies in
| the legal world. Indeed, a site called
| Openlaw existed ten years ago:
|
|     Openlaw is an experiment in crafting
|     legal argument in an open forum. With
|     your assistance, we will develop
|     arguments, draft pleadings, and edit
|     briefs in public, online. Non-lawyers
|     and lawyers alike are invited to join
|     the process by adding thoughts to the
|     "brainstorm" outlines, drafting and
|     commenting on drafts in progress, and
|     suggesting reference sources.
|
|     Building on the model of open source
|     software, we are working from the
|     hypothesis that an open development
|     process best harnesses the distributed
|     resources of the Internet community. By
|     using the Internet, we hope to enable
|     the public interest to speak as loudly
|     as the interests of corporations.
|     Openlaw is therefore a large project
|     built through the coordinated effort of
|     many small (and not so small)
|     contributions.
|
| Despite this long pedigree, open source law
| never really took off - until now.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/07/welcome-to-open-source-law.html

Technology and the Rights of the Child