[News] Funding for Open Access/Content, Wikipedia Readjusts

  • Subject: [News] Funding for Open Access/Content, Wikipedia Readjusts
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 20:07:16 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Omidyar Network

,----[ Quote ]
| Today Iâm very happy to be able to tell our
| community that mySociety is to be the recipient
| of $575,000 of grants from the US based Omidyar
| Network.
|
| The grants cover two areas:
|
|     * Building organizational capacity
|     * The provision of expertise to develop
|     open source websites for transparency-
|     focused organizations in Africa
`----

http://www.mysociety.org/2010/07/02/omidyar-network/

WWW: World Wide Wikipedia

,----[ Quote ]
| The good news is that she is starting from a
| solid base: Wikipedia runs on GNU/Linux,
| Apache, Squid and MySQL. The bad news is that â
| unbelievably â Wikipedia is essentially run out
| of Florida (plus that troublesome caching site
| in Amsterdam). For such a globalised project â
| just think of all the languages supported â to
| be running like this is, frankly, bonkers â and
| makes outages like today's almost inevitable.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=3061&blogid=14

Recent:

Wikipedia Gets A Revamp, Better Search And Navigation â And An Updated Logo

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/13/wikipedia-update/