[News] Australian Tax Office Pressured to Treat GNU/Linux Like First-class Platform

  • Subject: [News] Australian Tax Office Pressured to Treat GNU/Linux Like First-class Platform
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 10:46:04 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

ATO yet to give in on Linux, Mac e-tax

,----[ Quote ]
| A help topic put up on ATO's website
| attributes the absence of Linux and Mac-
| supported software for the e-tax to
| priorities on compatibility with tax law
| making.
`----

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/32777/20100706/ato-e-tax-tax-mac-linux-windows.htm

Updated: ATO yet to budge on Mac, Linux e-tax

,----[ Quote ]
| The Australian Tax Office (ATO) has remained
| defiant in forcing Australian taxpayers to
| electronically submit their tax returns
| through Windows-only software.
|
| A help topic posted on the ATO website
| attributes the lack of Mac or Linux-based e-
| tax software to priority focuses on
| compatibility with tax legislation.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/352195/updated_ato_yet_budge_mac_linux_e-tax/

Recent:

Linux users cry fail over ATO AUSKey compatibility

,----[ Quote ]
| The Australian Taxation Office is pushing the
| AUSkey public key infrastructure (PKI) for
| secure data exchange when submitting tax
| returns, but Linux users say they have again
| been left out in the cold.
|
| [...]
|
| In the case of tax returns, people can
| continue to use an ATO digital certificate
| until it expires â or it is cancelled â and
| then they will be forced to use an AUSkey.
| AUSkeys do not expire provided they are used
| at least once every year.
`----

http://www.cio.com.au/article/347414/linux_users_cry_fail_over_ato_auskey_compatibility/

E-tax could include Apple, Linux users

,----[ Quote ]
| APPLE and Linux users may soon be able to lodge their tax returns online
| alongside millions of Windows computer owners that have been doing so since
| 1999.
|
| The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) wants to make its e-tax self-lodgement
| software, available on non-Windows operating systems for the first time,
| tender documents have revealed.
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,24774196-15319,00.html

Macs, Linux to wait as ATO tenders e-tax

,----[ Quote ]
| The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) last week put the contract to maintain
| and develop its e-tax system out to market, with indications remaining that
| Mac OS X and Linux versions of the software are a ways off.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Macs-Linux-to-wait-as-ATO-tenders-e-tax/0,130061733,339293572,00.htm?omnRef=1337

Linux and the tax office: never the twain shall meet

,----[ Quote ]
| Why would a government body offer trial software for small and other
| businesses which use the GNU/Linux operating system, take it offline when the
| interest in it grows and keep quiet about it thereafter?
|
| [...]
|
| "The value to Australia of the uptake by business of the Linux operating
| system is substantial: In terms of balance of payments, the licence fees
| which would go across the globe to Microsoft, could remain in our own
| economy. This would have a positive effect on our balance of payments.
| Government could save money, and the general population could correspond with
| Government without the need for expensive proprietary Office programs.
|
| "Transactions with the ATO need to be conducted under the most secure
| arrangements possible. Linux and MacOSX answer this need best of all. Why
| would businesses operate their financial and taxation affairs under Windows
| unless the ATO was forcing their choice of an insecure platform? By
| obstructing the uptake of Linux by business the ATO are complicit in
| sabotaging the security of Australian businesses, and of putting the
| interests of a foreign company ahead of the national interest."
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18252/1090/

Related:

Taxman targets Mac, Linux users

,----[ Quote ]
| A spokesperson for the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) said compatibility
| of the application would extend to the Apple Macintosh and Linux
| operating systems. E-tax has so far required taxpayers to use
| Microsoft's Windows OS.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Taxman-targets-Mac-Linux-users/0,130061733,339274344,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/ypytk6

Taxman's Damascus moment: not all computers run Windows

,----[ Quote ]