[News] New Examples of Linux in Devices/Embedded

  • Subject: [News] New Examples of Linux in Devices/Embedded
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 11:59:56 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

eZ430-Chronos and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| In an earlier blog I wrote about the TI
| eZ430-Chronos. This is a $50 development
| kit with a twist. Instead of a generic
| target board, you get a wristwatch. Its
| more of a "Casio-style sports watch" than
| a Rolex, but inside is a fairly powerful
| MSP430 CPU and I/O including a 3-axis
| accelerometer, a temperature sensor, a
| pressure sensor, and a wireless connection
| back to a PC. You also get a USB
| programmer, and the USB receiver for the
| watch. Use coupon code HALFMSPTOOL (don't
| know when that expires) and the price
| drops to under $25.
`----

http://www.drdobbs.com/blog/archives/2010/07/ez430chronos_an.html;jsessionid=Z4RALZ4QZB5D3QE1GHOSKHWATMY32JVN

OK Labs promises secure mobile virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| The platform is currently a prototype,
| based on Sirrix' Turaya Security Kernel,
| which handles encryption, VPN and a
| trusted user interface; and the OKL4
| Microvisor, which can host the Sirrix
| trusted desktop alongside a variety of
| guest OS, including Android and other
| Linux variants, in OKL4 secure cells. The
| platform will initially run on Nokia's
| N900 product, which runs Linux-based
| Maemo.
`----

http://www.rethink-wireless.com/2010/07/05/ok-labs-promises-secure-mobile-virtualization.htm

FemtoLinux allows to run applications in kernel mode on ARM, MIPS and PPC

,----[ Quote ]
| FemtoLinux is a new Linux flavor optimized
| for real-time embedded systems. Our design
| goal is a low system call and interrupt-
| to-application latency and overhead. We
| achieve this by allowing to run critical
| Linux applications in kernel mode.

Tiny embedded PC offers 1080p video

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Norco-BIS6620III/

Open source robotics â is Qbo the ultimate project?

,----[ Quote ]
| Robotics and artificial intelligence
| enthusiast Francisco Paz has launched a
| new open source robot called Qbo. Pazâs
| five-year-long personal project is an
| attempt to realise the recently stated
| goal of Tomomasa Sato, director of the
| Japanese Robotics Association, to develop
| âan open source Model-T robot in which all
| global standards may be applied to achieve
| a result as revolutionary as Fordâs Model-
| T was for the car industry.â
|
| As with other projects in the growing open
| source hardware space, Qbo will be made,
| as far as possible, from off-the-shelf
| components, and all design plans, firmware
| and control software will be distributed
| under an open source licence.
`----

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/news/open-source-robotics-is-qbo-the-ultimate-project/

Birth of a world beater

,----[ Quote ]
| An estimated 20 billion ARM processors are
| installed worldwide, around four per
| person and up to four or five per device.
|
| For Sophie Wilson (pictured at left), who
| wrote the original instruction set back in
| 1983 for what was conceived as a co-
| processor for Acorn's BBC Micro computer,
| they are still a "little bit awe-
| inspiring."
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/feature/1687452/birth-world-beater

Mother of ARM

,----[ Quote ]
| Almost everything that ARM could be doing
| it is except for widespread use in PCs.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/07/07/mother-of-arm/

Recent:

Embedded Linux development platform adds PowerPC support

,----[ Quote ]
| Mentor Graphics announced a version of its
| Mentor Embedded Linux development platform
| that supports Freescale's PowerPC-based
| QorIQ and PowerQUICC processors. The
| multicore-ready Mentor Embedded Linux for
| QorIQ and PowerQUICC includes an Embedded
| System Builder build engine, an Eclipse-
| based Mentor Embedded Edge IDE (integrated
| development environment), and debug tools,
| says the company.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Mentor-Embedded-Linux-for-QorIQ-and-PowerQUICC-/?kc=rss

MontaVista spins Linux development platform for Cortex-A9

,----[ Quote ]
| MontaVista Software, LLC, announced the
| availability of what's claimed to be the
| first commercial Linux distribution and
| toolchain optimized for ARM Cortex-A9
| processors. Offered as a market specific
| distribution (MSD) package for MontaVista
| Linux 6 (MVL6), the software includes a
| toolchain optimized for the multicore-
| enabled Cortex-A9 architecture, says the
| Cavium subsidiary.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/MontaVista-MSD-for-CortexA9/?kc=rss

Linux-based multicore design targets femtocells

,----[ Quote ]
| The initial TCI6485 and TCI6489 models were
| said to power femotcells serving between
| eight and 32 HSPA 3G wireless users,
| respectively. At the time, TI said the DSPs
| were offered with a Linux support package
| and a software reference design from TI
| partners Continuous Computing and MimoOn.
| (See farther below for more on the
| TCI6489.)
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/TI-femtocell-design/

RISC/DSP cores gain Linux development support

,----[ Quote ]
| ARC International announced that its ARC
| 700 processor cores would be available with
| a Linux distribution from Codito
| Technologies back in 2004. ARC added SIMD
| (single-instruction, multiple-data)
| instruction support to the ARC 700 line in
| 2005, and added support subscriptions for
| the Codito Linux tools in 2007.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Virage-Logic-ARC-GNU-23-Toolchain-suite-and-ARC-Linux-13-/

Tiny embedded device server offloads Ethernet networking chores

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Lantronix-MatchPort-NR/?kc=rss