[News] Bloo Becomes Free Software, Eclipse Makes Many Free/Libre Releases

  • Subject: [News] Bloo Becomes Free Software, Eclipse Makes Many Free/Libre Releases
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 13:32:21 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Popular Facebook App âBlooâ Goes Open Source

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/07/06/popular-facebook-app-bloo-open-source/

Eclipse releases Helios train of 12 project apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Mike Milinkovich, Executive Director of
| the Eclipse Foundation, said the Helios
| release introduces important innovations
| in areas such as Git support, Linux
| development and JavaScript support.
`----

http://www.embedded.com/products/softwaretools/225702330

Recent:

Why the Eclipse Way Works So Well

,----[ Quote ]
| Many enterprise development teams often
| struggle with releasing software projects
| on time. That doesn't seem to be the case
| with the multi-vendor open source Eclipse
| Foundation, which for the last seven years
| has consistently shipped releases from
| multiple projects on time.
|
| This week, Eclipse Helios shipped with 39
| projects in what is known as the Eclipse
| release train. How does Eclipse manage to
| organize so many projects and year-after-
| year hit their release targets? What's the
| secret?
`----

http://www.devx.com/opensource/Article/45054

Application Development: 25 Best and Brightest Eclipse Development Projects

,----[ Quote ]
| With the recent release (June 23) of the
| Eclipse Foundation's 39-project Helios
| release train, eWEEK has decided to take a
| look at what many in the Eclipse community
| view as some of the top projects coming
| out of the organization. Eclipse is an
| open-source community, whose projects are
| focused on building an open development
| platform comprised of extensible
| frameworks, tools and runtimes for
| building, deploying and managing software
| across the lifecycle. Eclipse started as a
| Java IDE, but has since grown to be much,
| much more.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application-Development/25-Best-and-Brightest-Eclipse-Development-Projects-448324/

Does the world need another programming language?

,----[ Quote ]
| What were the motivations for creating Go?
|
|     Rob Pike
|
|     Rob Pike: A couple of years ago,
|     several of us at Google became a little
|     frustrated with the software
|     development process, and particularly
|     using C++ to write large server
|     software. We found that the binaries
|     tended to be much too big. They took
|     too long to compile. And the language
|     itself, which is pretty much the main
|     system software language in the world
|     right now, is a very old language. A
|     lot of the ideas and changes in
|     hardware that have come about in the
|     last couple of decades haven't had a
|     chance to influence C++. So we sat down
|     with a clean sheet of paper and tried
|     to design a language that would solve
|     the problems that we have: we need to
|     build software quickly, have it run
|     well on modern multi-core hardware and
|     in a network environment, and be a
|     pleasure to use.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/06/does-the-world-need-yet-anothe.htm

Take more note when Eclipse code drops on schedule

,----[ Quote ]
| Five years into my tenure on this beat and
| I still read, in comments, snark about open
| source programmers being amateurs, coding
| in their parentsâ basements, in their
| pajamas.
|
| This was always a false image. Not that I
| have anything against a good parentâs
| basement, or a nice comfortable pair of
| jammies. And when open source was being
| born, at the bottom of the dot-bomb, there
| was high unemployment in the code-o-sphere.
|
| But the coders and the coding were always
| professional. There have always been a lot
| of people in open source who knew how to
| make the coding train run on time.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/take-more-note-when-eclipse-code-drops-on-schedule/6742

Eclipse project releases major update of open source IDE

,----[ Quote ]
| The Eclipse project has announced the Helios
| release train, a major update of the open
| source Eclipse integrated development
| environment (IDE) and many of its key
| components.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/06/eclipse-project-releases-major-update-of-open-source-ide.ars

Helios: Eclipse 3.6 with Linux Tools, MarketPlace and JavaScript debugging

,----[ Quote ]
| The Eclipse Foundation's annual release
| train, this year dubbed Helios, as planned,
| includes version 3.6 of Eclipse, the free
| development environment. Helios includes 39
| projects with more than 33 million lines of
| code â the work of approximately 490
| committers. Discussing the release, Eclipse
| Foundation Executive Director Mike
| Milinkovich said, "The Helios release is
| another fantastic effort by the Eclipse
| committer community", noting that,"Besides
| the feat of coordinating such a large
| development effort, Helios introduces
| important innovations".
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Helios-Eclipse-3-6-with-Linux-Tools-MarketPlace-and-JavaScript-debugging-1028113.html

Eclipse Helios technologies arrive on the release train

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/062310-eclipse-helios-technologies-arrive-on.html

Eclipse Helios Simultaneous Release

http://www.infoq.com/news/2010/06/eclipse-helios

Surprising findings in developers' open source usage

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows usage is declining, MySQL usage is
| gaining, and Enterprise JavaBeans and Spring
| usage are tied
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/surprising-findings-in-developers-open-source-usage-848

Linux gaining on Windows among Eclipse developers

Eclipse Community Survey: Good News, Bad News

,----[ Quote ]
| That's really significant, because for many free
| software applications, historically people have
| tended to develop on Windows, and then deploy on
| GNU/Linux. If the developers are moving to
| GNU/Linux on the desktop â as this survey suggests
| - maybe the tide is beginning to turn there, at
| least among that particular community (well, it's a
| start...).
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=3005&blogid=14

Eclipse users developing on Linux, considering cloud

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-20007229-62.html