[News] New Examples of Open Access/Content/Sharing

  • Subject: [News] New Examples of Open Access/Content/Sharing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 13:36:56 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Report on the implementation of open content licenses in developing and transition countries

,----[ Quote ]
| The survey attempted to gather information
| from a broad spectrum of research
| institutions in developing and transition
| countries in order to get a better
| understanding of the current state of the
| implementation of open content licenses. Open
| content licenses or some explicit statement
| attached to the article when it is published
| in an open access journal or deposited in an
| open access repository help to refer to a
| specific type of libre open access.
`----

http://www.eifl.net/cps/sections/services/eifl-oa/docs/report-on-implementation

YouTube plans to open-source film 'Life in a Day'

,----[ Quote ]
| Google-owned video sharing service YouTube
| is creating a movie titled Life in a Day
| with director Kevin Macdonald and producer
| Ridley Scott, besides roping in hundreds
| of its online open-source contributors,
| reports said.
`----

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/33165/20100707/youtube-film-life-in-a-day-july-24-videos.htm

Social Media Brings Open Source Sensibility to the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| This got me thinking that this social
| largesse was not unlike the open source
| movement. When left to their own devices
| people will help for free for the sake of
| helping and the social web helps drive
| this desire.
`----

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story295001.html

How To Build an Open Source House?

http://ask.slashdot.org/story/10/07/06/1634242/How-To-Build-an-Open-Source-House

Freedom to Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Free software may stem from a research
| mind-set, where shared results lead to a
| greater good. Free software has built this
| around various licenses such as GPL and
| BSD. The ideals behind free software have
| spread beyond software and can also be
| seen in other areas: documentation, game
| mods, illustrations, music - all types of
| content creation can be licensed in an
| open and free way.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/freedom-search

Recent:

Would you share with your neighbors?

,----[ Quote ]
| We should have all learned that sharing is
| a good thing at a very early age. I teach
| my 4-year old son to share. But what about
| sharing with your friends and neighbors?
| That's part of being a community, right?
`----

http://opensource.com/life/10/6/would-you-share-your-neighbors

Life (or something like it) Update

,----[ Quote ]
| I believe that, by sharing this
| information with you, it might better
| illustrate (or, perhaps illuminate) why
| I'm building another network security tool
| and what fundamentally motivated me to do
| so.
`----

http://www.lifezero.org/journal/2010/6/25/life-or-something-like-it-update.html

Open Source Sensing Initiatives March Forward

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open Source Sensing project has been
| launched by the Foresight Institute to apply
| open source principles to the development and
| governance of sensor-centric initiatives. We
| wrote about it here. The Open Source Sensing
| initiative is seeking individuals and
| organizations to work with it on new
| applications for sensors.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/open-source-sensing-initiatives-march-forward

Crowdsourcing vs. collaboration: Which yields superior results?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Wharton authors' research suggests a
| hybrid approach that looks something like
| this:
|
|    1. Convene to discuss the problem and
|    objectives.
|    2. Give everyone a clear assignment:
|    return with a specific number of ideas,
|    by a set deadline.
|    3. Work individually on the problem.
|    4. Regroup to present the ideas and
|    formulate a plan of action.
`----

http://opensource.com/business/10/6/crowdsourcing-vs-collaboration-which-yields-superior-results

Strategic Planning the Wiki Way

http://opensource.com/business/10/6/eugene-eric-kim-recap

Open source brings new meaning to user-generated content

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenBlock is the open source software
| powering the project and is being developed
| by the nonprofit group OpenPlans. They're
| partnering with The Columbia Daily Tribune
| in Missouri and The Boston Globe on two
| separate, but similar, projects.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/open-source-brings-new-meaning-user-generated

Bureau publishes comprehensive civil service hospitality database

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://thebureauinvestigates.com/2010/06/17/bureau-publishes-comprehensive-civil-service-hospitality-database/