[News] Free Software Gets Dressed up as SaaS/Fog Computing

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Gets Dressed up as SaaS/Fog Computing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 13:46:23 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Adobe Released Puppet Recipes for Hadoop

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently Adobe released Puppet recipes
| that they are using to automate
| Hadoop/HBase deployments to the community.
| InfoQ spoke with Luke Kanies, founder of
| PuppetLabs, to learn more about what this
| means.
`----

http://www.infoq.com/news/2010/07/adobe-released-puppet-recipes

Is it time to go Cloud?

,----[ Quote ]
| There is no doubt that the cloud is
| relevant for some businesses and some
| applications, but this is a market that is
| still evolving. A suppler who can offer a
| hybrid can give the best advice and make
| sure you only pay for what you need
| without being locked in.
`----

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/opinion/is-it-time-to-go-cloud/

Change in Business

,----[ Quote ]
| A survey finds â54% of those surveyed
| either currently use or plan to use cloud
| computing within the next 12 months for
| their applicatonsâ. (TFA comes from
| Googleâs cache because the original site
| seems broken nowâ)
|
| [...]
|
| Itâs a chicken and egg thing. Will
| GNU/Linux take major share because
| consumers lap it up in stores or will
| GNU/Linux take major share because
| businesses adopt it widely? IT shifts can
| spread either way from the consumer space
| to business or the other way round. It
| seems to me that many businesses running
| XP are clinging to XP because they can
| keep it working but are exhausted from the
| effort and want nothing more to do with
| M$âs high cost of maintenance.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/07/06/change-in-business/

Recent:

Beyond the Cloud: The Comprehensive Flexibility of FOSS May Bring Clearer Skies

,----[ Quote ]
| Fortunately this type of flexible software
| does exist. It is called Free and Open
| Source Softare (FOSS) and it is becoming
| ubiquitous. In fact, whether you know it
| or not, you are using FOSS software:
| Apache, the FOSS web server, runs this web
| site and indeed the majority of all web
| sites. Wordpress, the blogging software we
| use here is also âeverywhereâ and you can
| purchase it from âcloudâ utility providers
| or install, run, and modify it yourself.
| The list of important FOSS software goes
| on and on and this blog is dedicated to
| helping elucidate its importance as well
| as the issues involved in managing it.
`----

http://blog.remoteresponder.net/2010/06/29/beyond-the-cloud-the-comprehensive-flexibility-of-foss-may-bring-clearer-skies/

WSO2 launches 100% Open Source Cloud Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| An enterprise applications developer with
| development facilities in Sri Lanka
| recently launched its first 100% open
| source cloud platform, WSO2 Stratos. Built
| upon the WSO2 Carbon platform which it
| introduced last year, the company's,
| WSO2's, new productoffers advantages such
| as lower project times and reduced data
| centre costs, WSO said in a statement.
`----

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/100627/BusinessTimes/bt31.html

The intersection of open source and cloud computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Take the interesting discussion about the
| future of the LAMP stack recently. LAMP--a
| software stack consisting of Linux, Apache
| Web Server and/or Tomcat, MySQL (or
| another open-source database engine) and
| the Perl, Python and/or PHP scripting
| languages--plays a critical role in the
| world of Web applications, but as I noted
| recently, it may not be as critical to the
| cloud.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-19413_3-20006393-240.html

Red Hat releases cloud computing software tools

,----[ Quote ]
| LEADING LINUX VENDOR Red Hat has announced the
| release of several cloud computing tools in
| what it calls Cloud Foundation: Edition One.
|
| [...]
|
| Red Hat claims Edition One is the first of
| several cloud offerings that will give its
| customers everything they'll need to build and
| manage a private cloud software
| infrastructure.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1687617/red-hat-releases-cloud-computing-software-tools

Red Hat Unveils Comprehensive Cloud Infrastructure Solutions

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/red-hat-unveils-comprehensive-cloud-infrastructure-solutions-2010-06-23?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Red Hat puts open source in the cloud

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/06/24/241719/Red-Hat-puts-open-source-in-the-cloud.htm

Drupal Founder Critical of SaaS and its Proprietary Nature

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterprise/2010/03/drupas-founder-says-the-saas-m.php