[News] FFmpeg Implementation Has No Patent Issues, WebM Works Well Compared to H.264

  • Subject: [News] FFmpeg Implementation Has No Patent Issues, WebM Works Well Compared to H.264
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 14:31:20 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On WebM, H264, and FFmpeg implementation

,----[ Quote ]
| I was recently reminded by Gregory Maxwell
| of Xiph about the new, non-Google
| implementation of VP8 done within the
| context of FFmpeg, and many commenters on
| Slashdot observed that the fact that the
| implementation shares lots of code with
| the H264 part is further demonstration
| that VP8 is infriging on MPEG-LA held
| patents.
|
| Actually, there is nothing in the
| implementation that suggests this, only
| the fact that some underlying alogrithms
| are similar (but not identical). For
| example, the entropy coder is quite
| similar, and it certainly helps to reuse
| some of the highly optimized librarties
| that are within FFMPEG, this is however no
| indication of patent infringement.
`----

http://carlodaffara.conecta.it/?p=449

VP8 and H.264 Codecs Compared In Detail

,----[ Quote ]
| "Moscow State University's Graphics and
| Media lab have released their sixth MPEG-4
| AVC/H.264 video codecs comparison. Also of
| note is a recently added appendix to the
| report which compares VP8, x264, and Xvid.
| The reference VP8 encoder holds its own
| against x264 despite the source material
| offering x264 a slight advantage. The VP8
| developers comment in the report: 'We've
| been following the MSU tests since they
| began and respect the group's work. One
| issue we noticed in the test is that most
| input sequences were previously compressed
| using other codecs. These sequences have
| an inherent bias against VP8 in
| recompression tests. As pointed out by
| other developers, H.264 and MPEG-like
| encoders have slight advantages in
| reproducing some of their own typical
| artifacts, which helps their objective
| measurement numbers but not necessarily
| visual quality. This is reflected by
| relatively better results for VP8 on the
| only uncompressed input sequence, "mobile
| calendar."'"
`----

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/07/07/219210/VP8-and-H264-Codecs-Compared-In-Detail

Sixth MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Video Codecs Comparison - Short Version

http://www.compression.ru/video/codec_comparison/h264_2010/index.html

MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Video Codecs Comparison 2010 - Appendixes

http://www.compression.ru/video/codec_comparison/h264_2010/vp8_vs_h264.html

Recent:

HTML5 Isn't Ready For Primetime, YouTube Says

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's effort to leave the past behind, as
| CEO Steve Jobs has characterized his
| company's rejection of Adobe's Flash
| technology, may take longer than expected.
|
| Kuan Yong, platforms product manager for
| Google's YouTube, says that despite his
| company's efforts to make YouTube videos
| run in an HTML5 player, Flash isn't going
| anywhere.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/desktop/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=225701855

Growing pains afflict HTML5 standardization

,----[ Quote ]
| Listening to marketing messages from
| companies such as Apple and Google, one
| might think HTML5, the next-generation Web
| page standard, is ready to take the Net by
| storm.
|
| But the words of those producing the
| specification show an HTML governance
| process that can be stormy, fractious, and
| far from settled down. The World Wide Web
| Consortium's return to HTML standardization
| after years of absence has produced
| tensions with the more informal Web
| Hypertext Application Working Group
| (WHATWG) that shouldered the HTML burden
| during that absence.
|
| Some examples of language that's cropped up
| this month on the W3C's HTML Working Group
| mailing list: "childish," "intolerable,"
| "ridiculous," "shenanigans." And there's a
| concrete manifestation of the divisiveness:
| The WHATWG and W3C versions of the HTML5
| specification, though both stemming from
| the same source material, have diverged in
| some areas.
|
| [..]
|
| But where will those developers look to
| find that standard? The W3C, a recognized
| standards body that includes the
| participation of Microsoft and carries
| patent policy that attempts to ease patent-
| infringement worries?
|
| [...]
|
| But where will those developers look to
| find that standard? The W3C, a recognized
| standards body that includes the
| participation of Microsoft and carries
| patent policy that attempts to ease patent-
| infringement worries?
|
| [...]
|
| The HTML disputes come at a time when the
| W3C, under the leadership of new chief
| executive Jeff Jaffe, is trying to reclaim
| some of its power.
|
| "There is much new innovation, and the Web
| will benefit if the community brings their
| work to W3C," Jaffe said last week in a
| blog post, adding that the W3C is trying to
| become more agile and open.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20008935-264.html

FFmpeg gets its own implementation of Google's VP8 codec

,----[ Quote ]
| Developers Ronald Bultje, David Conrad, and
| Jason Garret-Glaser are creating a native
| VP8 video codec implementation for the open
| source FFmpeg project. The aim of this
| effort is to bring first-class VP8 support
| to FFmpeg and demonstrate the feasibility
| of producing an independent VP8
| implementation.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/06/ffmpeg-getting-its-own-implementation-of-googles-vp8-codec.ars

Googleâs VP8 video codec

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that the hype is over, letâs talk the
| real deal. How good is Googleâs VP8 video
| codec? Since âmultiple independent
| implementations help a standard mature
| quicker and become more useful to its
| usersâ, me and others (David for the
| decoder core and PPC optimizations, Jason
| for x86 optimizations) decided that we
| should implement a native VP8 decoder in
| FFmpeg.
`----

http://blogs.gnome.org/rbultje/2010/06/27/googles-vp8-video-codec/

VP8 Codec Coming To FFmpeg

,----[ Quote ]
| They were able to keep the line-count low
| by relying on heavy reuse from the existing
| H.264 codebase."
`----

http://developers.slashdot.org/story/10/06/28/1120200/VP8-Codec-Coming-To-FFmpeg

Swift and predictable reactions to WebM