Re: Windows Screws Up UNIX and Linux by De^H^H^H^HGN

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Thursday 23 Jun 2011 13:14 : \____

>>> Nah, just an unfortunate line-ending convention with DOS inheriting a way to
>>> move the teletype striker back and downward.  Mac has yet another
>>> line-ending convention.
>>>
>>> Windows software (except for Notepad) will handle the UNIX convention (and
>>> the forward slash) just fine.  You can have a subversion hook clean up the
>>> line endings on check-in.
>>>
>>> Vim will handle the files either way, suppressing the "Ctrl-M" characters.
>>>
>>> Except when someone edits just part of the file, in which case you'll see
>>> some of them.
>>>
>>> But even Visual Studio now knows the difference and will ask you which
>>> line-ending convention you'd like it to use when saving the file.
>>
>> Why even keep this broken legacy?
>
> The code is not under the control of the community.
>
>> It only confuses people.
>
> You are kind of right about the confusion, though.  One can announce, loudly
> and repetitively, that #include statements should use "/", not "\" in the
> path, and that the "/" will also work with Microsoft's C run-time library,
> and you *still* get boneheads who will litter the code with needless "\"
> characters.
>
> We've even had people get confused about the difference between the "\\"
> needed in C code and the "\" needed for paths in, say, a database or text
> file, so that we end up seeing paths like:
>
>    C:\\app\\directory\\path
>
> in configuration files, and it persists because the Microsoft C run-time
> will accept a double slash just fine.

Slashes are at least visible. A few years ago I wasted about 3 hours trying
to figure out why I couldn't compile my TeX document, finally
realising that it was with DOS-style newlines.

- --