Re: Penguin Pete Debunks "Ease of Use" in GNU/Linux Myths

____/ Homer on Friday 24 Jun 2011 21:14 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that JeffM spake thusly:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>>> He did nothing like this since
>
> AFAIAC he's got a permanent black mark against his name for that. It's
> not just that he attacked Ken without any proof or provocation, it's the
> fact that he attacked someone so dedicated to an altruistic cause.

Ken later won at least one award for his work (in the state of Texas). I think
the stereotype of Texans had some bloggers who never met him overly presumptuous.
I cannot think of Pete ever doing something so degrading apart from that (and
I insulted him for this at the time). Later on he supported me, just as Ken had done
for many years and named me as inspiration in his LXer interview.

>> Well, that's good at least.
>>
>> Among my favorite HeliOS stories are the time he caught flack from all
>> directions after blasting the teacher who thought that anything
>> without a price tag wasn't legit.
>
> It was more than that. She exposed herself as an anti-Linux and
> pro-Microsoft fanatic, after initially feigning ignorance, but then
> admitting she'd already heard of and used Linux at college, and ranting
> about it being a "Windows world".

Do you know the controversy in Texan schools regarding theism and indoctrination? It's
truly scary. It's like Saudi Arabia, the Western flavour. Google it...

Short story is, the religious lobby totally hijacked the panels and evolution
is like a dirty word there. Some go along with the "world is 6000 years old" myths...
in publicly funded schools. So the Linux phobia is the least of their troubles.

>> ...then there was the time that the Windoze support guy blamed Ken and
>> his ilk for taking away work from his sort.  Grabbing Ken (US Army
>> retired) by his ponytail was a BIG mistake.
>
> I missed that one. Got a link?

Is that about the bullies from the parking lot? Those whose business he
was 'stealing' by giving kids access to Free software?

Ken is many people's hero.

- --