Re: Penguin Pete Debunks "Ease of Use" in GNU/Linux Myths

____/ Homer on Friday 01 Jul 2011 21:58 : \____

>> Militant atheism is not Dawkins's style
>
> In his own words:
>
> [quote]
> I am a fairly militant atheist, with a fair degree of active hostility
> toward religion. I certainly was hostile toward it at school, from the
> age of about sixteen onwards. I mellowed a bit in my twenties and
> thirties. But I'm getting more militant again now.
> [/quote]
>
> Reinventing the future: conversations with the world's leading
> scientists, by Thomas A. Bass.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/68o3lf4 (Google Books)

He is also militant towards Iraq, acting as a major apologist for the invasion.

>> it is maybe Christopher Hitchens, who can be rather abrasive at times
>> although he does make some valid points.
>
> The most valid point is there's no good reason to be hostile toward
> people simply because they believe in God, any more than there's a good
> reason to be hostile toward those who believe in Santa Claus or the
> Tooth Fairy.

He is hostile toward people who /preach/ to the gullible about it (about Santa,
Tooth Fairy, or whatever other fiction).

>> Dawkins was an academic for many years (he is almost 70 now) and he wrote
>> many technical books. It is the attack on his work and on himself too
>
> The only thing I'm attacking is his militancy. His other activities mean
> nothing to me.

He is a teacher.

- --