Re: Penguin Pete Debunks "Ease of Use" in GNU/Linux Myths

____/ Snit on Friday 01 Jul 2011 23:48 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz stated in post 1641350.nKVQPIDvDu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 7/1/11
> 2:28 PM:

>>> Just don't depend on one for certain scientific teaching.
>>
>> What is "scientific teaching"? Teaching of the sciences or a delegation of
>> teaching class? As in, today we learn mythology, tomorrow we learn truth, let
>> the kids decide (don't forget the Earth on turtleback theory!). :-)
>
> It is absurd when people consider the rejection of teaching mythology as
> science to be "militant".  Sure: science can come to incorrect conclusions
> and theories are modified and even rejected.  No doubt.  That is not an
> excuse to avoid teaching kids the best information we have at the time (on
> an age-appropriate level - there is a reason we simplify things for younger
> kids!)

I know what he meant by "militant", but few people whom I know actually are. I am not an atheist,
in fact that I do not define myself by something I am not (is there a word for Santa deniers
and Thor sceptics? How about Non-Stamp Collectors?), I just judge things by evidence and
correct people if they make claims they cannot back, be these Bilk's claims about 9/11,
some people's claims about climate 'fraud', or hypothetically, even the "miracle"
that -- let is say for the matter of example -- saved their kids' life
when in fact these were highly trained doctors and medication that did the job, based on
the measurable evidence.

I had a long argument with a relative in Florida yesterday. She still wishes to insult
those whose opinions are not comfortable for her to embrace, even if these are hinged on
evidence. What I generally find is, in a theistic country with a biased education system,
people are becoming resistant to facts and adherent to faith. This is not good. People are
actually commended for embracing belief without evidence. Tony Blair did a lot of damage in
some aspects relating to this.

- --