Re: Penguin Pete Debunks "Ease of Use" in GNU/Linux Myths

____/ High Plains Thumper on Saturday 02 Jul 2011 14:33 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Gregory Shearman on Saturday:

>>> My mother probably got a few months extra from the treatment, but it
>>> was months of agony. She never smoked and didn't drink alcohol. She had
>>> a weight problem most of her life.
>>
>> I know many people who survived cancer thanks to the medical profession.
>> They can't *always* cure the patients, but at last they try.
>
> Cancer is a very difficult disease to cure, as it has many different
> types. One doctor told me that there are over 200 types of chemo medicines
> used. Each is used to target a particular cancer strain.
>
> Cancer is something that must be dealt with thoroughly. Early detection
> and treatment are keys to preventing its spread. If detected in later
> stages, most one can only hope for an extended life, but there are no
> guarantees on eradication.
>
> Which in a way reminds me. The failure of the governments to treat and
> eradicate software patents has lead to a metastacising that may be
> difficult to eradicate, one can only hope for an extended life on the
> industry, not to mention also poisoning caused by insufficient treatment
> of a monopoly. The only way to truly cure that was to cut it out.

Effective ways to fight cancer is identification of catalysts, such as radiation
and toxins. One nuclear experiment in the USSR is said to have cost a million lives, over time
(so said Linus Pauling) and there is still an under-reported issue around wireless
connectivity which is so widespread these days (convenience over health).

- --