Re: Apple is Miseducation, Delusion, Aggression

____/ Snit on Wednesday 06 Jul 2011 22:42 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz stated in post 6437688.NyiUUSuA9g@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 7/6/11
> 12:40 PM:

>>> It does not matter what I think about Apple, but...
>>>
>>> First I honor Steve Jobs a lot. He is genius. His IQ must be 300... He is
>>> both technical and business man.
>>>
>> Why did the company almost go bankrupt when he was there earlier?
>>
> You mean when he was not there?  In any case, he clearly has learned a lot
> from his early years.
>
>>> I hope he pulls through whatever he going through now. Any news?
>>>
>>> On the weekend I was watching videos of Apple & Steve on YouTube.
>>> They are very informative. I think FOSS people could learn few things
>>> from Apple and Steve.
>>
>> OK, be specific. And it's not all about money, it's about engineering.
>
> Some comments from Shuttleworth come to mind:
>
>   Mark Shuttleworth:
>     -----
>     The fact that OS X is growing, tells us that Windows is
>     weakening. The fact that OS X is growing and Linux isn't,
>     tells you that OS X is offering things that Linux is not.
>     One of those is the pace of change, the level of innovation.
>     You really have to give credit to Apple for driving
>     innovation.
>     -----
>     But if you are somebody who is not too concerned about price,
>     who is not too concerned about freedom, I don't think we can
>     say the Linux desktop offers the very best experience. And
>     that's something we have to change, that's something I'm
>     committed to work on, focusing increasing amounts of
>     resources of Canonical on figuring out on how we actually
>     move the desktop experience forward to compete with Mac OS X.
>     -----
>
> As Shuttleworth understands, Apple does many things very well - better than
> pretty much anyone else in the industry.
>
>>> One thing I spotted in them would be to concentrate on some market
>>> segment and take that - not trying to be everything for everybody, which
>>> does not work. So a segment at a time FOSS could win.
>>> One of the videos Steve told that the rough patch Apple was going
>>> through back in time was because they were developing zillions of things
>>> at the same time. Other one was that success doesn't follow by first
>>> developing something cool and then trying to figure out how to sell it.
>>> It starts when you know the customer's need and fill it.
>>
>> That's not a very technology-oriented approach though, is it?
>
> Exactly: it is a *customer* and *use-case* oriented approach.  Sure, Apple
> focuses on technology, but really they are in business to make good products
> - not to push technology.
>
>>> On the other hand my suspicion for Apple are deeply rooted.
>>>
>>> 1a. It is proprietary.
>>> 1b. Microsoft financed them back few years so that they won't go out of
>>> business.
>>> 2. Steve don't want to compete with MS head on - which might be wise.
>>> 3. Steve took whole BSD kernel for free and Apple does not exactly give
>>> much back. Or if someone knows otherwise please tell.
>>> 4. newest is this Nortel patent deal. Consortium includes both Microsoft
>>> and Apple....
>>>
>>> I plan to learn iOS when I have time....probably somewhere round
>>> 2020.... maybe it solves itself automatically iOS or I might be dead...
>>
>> iOS -- like iDevices -- is a monopoly.
>
> Not at all.  Heck, as is often noted in COLA, Android has a higher market
> share at this point than does iOS.  Do you call Android a "monopoly", or
> only an OS with a lower share?

Android is a collection of packages and a shop.

>> Had Apple licensed it, there would arguably be no Android. Apple is repeating
>> its mistakes from the 80s/90s.
>
> Why would Apple want to license iOS?  Why would they want to license OS X?
> Do not get me wrong, they might license OS X at some point, at least for
> virtualization, but their strategy of making the best *complete* product has
> served them and their customers very well.  I would not want that to be
> diminished by such a radical change in their direction.

- --