Re: GNU/Linux Advice for Replacing Microsoft Skype (with PATRIOT Act Spying)

____/ Homer on Thursday 07 Jul 2011 21:33 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Bob a Job spake thusly:
>
>> Skype was based in Europe until 2005.
>
> And it still is. Apparently you don't understand the difference between
> a subsidiary and a division.
>
> Microsoft made the agreement to acquire Skype in early May. Until that
> time it was a Luxembourg registered company, even throughout its various
> acquisitions, since it was merely a subsidiary of those respective
> parent companies. It will remain a Luxembourg registered company until
> the actual purchase and reincorporation by Microsoft is complete, at
> which time - for the first time in its history - it will "become an
> American company" ... i.e. Microsoft.
>
>> Since that time, its owners have included (American company) eBay
>> which (which still owns 30% of the company).  Much of the remaining
>> 70% appears to have been purchased by (American company) Silver Lake
>> Partners.  Skype will soon be changing hands to (American company)
>> Microsoft.
>
> None of which has any bearing on the fact that Skype Communications, S.Ã
> r.l. was incorporated in Luxembourg, and continued to be a Luxembourg
> company throughout its various acquisitions, no matter where its parent
> companies were incorporated.
>
> [quote]
> Subsidiaries are separate, distinct legal entities for the purposes of
> taxation and regulation. For this reason, they differ from divisions,
> which are businesses fully integrated within the main company, and not
> legally or otherwise distinct from it.
> [/quote]
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsidiary
>
>> So I ask, once again, is there something specific to Skype which
>> allows for "PATRIOT Act Spying"?
>
> Yes. Once Skype becomes a division of Microsoft (an American company),
> it will be subject to American Martial Law like the Patriot Act, even
> though 80% of Skype customers are not American:
>
> http://skypenumerology.blogspot.com/2011/03/number-of-skype-users.html
>
> Microsoft has already explicitly stated it will hand over EU customer's
> data to the US government, in violation of European data protection and
> privacy regulations, and has even been caught patenting technology for
> that very purpose:
>
> [quote]
> Personal information belonging to EU users of US-owned cloud-based
> services could be shared with US law enforcers without the user being
> informed, Microsoft has said.
>
> The software giant said it could not guarantee that it would not have to
> hand over EU customers' data on a new cloud service it has developed
> whilst keeping details of the data transfer secret.
>
> Cloud services allow internet users to store data online instead of
> locally.
>
> EU data protection laws state that organisations must tell people when
> they are asked to disclose their personal information.
>
> These EU provisions might conflict with obligations US-based firms, such
> [...]

To be fair, the US army already has even more information, including -- based on
what I learned from a reliable source -- a copy of outgoing E-mails from the UK to
the UK. There are many American army bases here, some are faslely disguised as "RAF".

- --