Re: Bavarian Government Speaks of Free Software Usage

____/ JeffM on Wednesday 13 Jul 2011 00:39 : \____

>>Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>>The cost of being stuck with Microsoft
>>>
> Just imagine if CEOs/CIOs had to *justify* the amount of time/money
> that they put into avoiding/squashing all those M$-specific
> infections.
>
>>>when it abandons more than 70 products (since [2000??])
>>>
> Yup.
> Just how much that churn costs those bosses in time/money
> having their guys constantly relearning toolsets
> seems like a good excuse to get new managment.
>
> ...and you'd think that to be a developer would require you to be
> *smart*
> --at least smart enough to see the trend and point that out to your
> boss.
>
>>>and may soon become just a patent troll/bankrupt is very high.
>>>
> "Intellectual property" threats are all they have left.
> Now, if companies would stop rolling over for them
> and say "Put up or shut up".
>
>>>Sooner or later *everywhere* will have to escape Microsoft's clutches.
>>>
> The exemplars exist.
> All you have to do is open up your eyes, dudes.
> The sooner you pay attention, the more money you save/make.
> The "hippies" who already switched have plenty of time/money left over
> to figure out how to eat your lunches.
>
> Homer wrote:
>>Putting all one's eggs in one basket is highly imprudent,
>>especially when the basket in question is so rotten and full of holes.
>>
> Remember when competitive bids were mandated?
> Somebody is going to have to explain to me how that is even possible
> when looking at closed-source single-vendor wares.
> ...not to mention those wares are crap.

There was a lot of commotion recently about procurement requirements
containing brand names, i.e. requiring particular brands rather
than functionality. This will hopefully be fixed soon. One project
I work for at the moment strives to add features to a mail server
so that it can replace Exchange in the British public sector.

- --