Re: Debian Day is Coming

____/ JeffM on Tuesday 19 Jul 2011 20:39 : \____

>>chrisv wrote:
>>>Now *that* would be a nasty surprise, when you crack the thing open...
>>>Nothing but "Hadron".  Yuck!
>>
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>Who said anything about battering the piÃata?
>>
> With something so transparent, there's no need to do anything
> in order to see there's nothing there worth bothering with.
>
>>It's a civilised Debian [event], not a chair-flinging contest.
>>
> So, it's something completely unknown to the MSFT crowd.
>
> I'm reminded of Eric Raymond quoting Tom Nadeau
> that M$ sees business as a demolition derby
> where there can be only one winner.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xvpn8VluBXIJ:www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/halloween1.html+MS.believes.that.putting.other.companies.out.of.business.is.not.merely.collateral.damage+Eric.S.Raymond+*-
Cathedral-*-*-*+Microsoft-and-freedom-of-choice-*-*-*-*-*-*-*&strip=1
> http://tinyurl.com/TomNadeauOnMicrosoft
> (at about the 50% mark)
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/halloween1.html
>
> "MS believes that putting other companies out of business
> is not merely collateral damage--a byproduct of selling better stuff--
> but rather, a direct business goal."

Sounds like Bill Gates. He still puts critics out of business. See for
example:

"The chief of malaria for the World Health Organization has complained that the
growing dominance of malaria research by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
risks stifling a diversity of views among scientists and wiping out the world
health agencyâs policy-making function.

"In a memorandum, the malaria chief, Dr. Arata Kochi, complained to his boss,
Dr. Margaret Chan, the director general of the W.H.O., that the foundationâs
money, while crucial, could have âfar-reaching, largely unintended consequences.

"Many of the worldâs leading malaria scientists are now âlocked up in a âcartelâ
with their own research funding being linked to those of others within the
group,â Dr. Kochi wrote. Because âeach has a vested interest to safeguard the
work of the others,â he wrote, getting independent reviews of research proposals
âis becoming increasingly difficult.

"Also, he argued, the foundationâs determination to have its favored research
used to guide the health organizationâs recommendations âcould have implicitly
dangerous consequences on the policy-making process in world health.â

           --"Gates Foundationâs Influence Criticized", New York Times, 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/16/science/16malaria.html

âGates has created a huge blood-buying operation that only cares
about money, not about people.â
         --AIDS organisation manager], December 2009 (New York Times

- --