Review of the Latest Ubuntu GNU/Linux, New Development Release

  • Subject: Review of the Latest Ubuntu GNU/Linux, New Development Release
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:15:20 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu 11.10: Fast And Friendly

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 11.10, which also goes by the somewhat ridiculous
| code name of Oneiric Ocelot, is anything but ridiculous
| if youâre a power desktop user -- judging by its early
| âalphaâ version. It has the fastest boot-time weâve seen
| on an HDD-based PC, shows snappy performance between
| applications and just may be the easiest PC operating
| system in the world to navigate.
|
| A change under the hood seems to have made
| all the difference in the world.
|
| When Ubuntu 11.04 met the world earlier this
| year, it provided a new âUnityâ interface
| that looked cleaner and friendlier but many
| complained that it acted clunky and slow at
| times. Developers of the Linux distro then
| jumped into action like the pit crew on a NASCAR
| team; they swapped out the Gnome Desktop Manager
| (GDM) with a newer, lighter LightDM. From what we've
| seen, what that did was, essentially, remove legacy
| code with code that was built to be less complex
| and faster.
`----

http://www.crn.com/news/applications-os/231002339/ubuntu-11-10-fast-and-friendly.htm;jsessionid=fm-
WPpWSMrpMIV6EwLA0pw**.ecappj01

Ubuntu 10.04.3 (Lucid Lynx) LTS released!

http://ubuntu-news.org/2011/07/21/ubuntu-10-04-3-lucid-lynx-lts-released/

Ubuntu 11.10 Development update

http://ubuntu-news.org/2011/07/21/ubuntu-11-10-development-update-4/