Re: Tom Shillton keeps digging a deeper hole

____/ Homer on Tuesday 09 Aug 2011 08:16 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
>> Tom Shelton wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>>> Ok, I'm going to say this slowly... From the analysis I've seen on
>>> line, that 34% was only measuring channel sales (OEM's to
>>> distributors), NOT sell through (distributors to consumers).  You do
>>> understand the difference right?
>>>
>>> http://www.businessinsider.com/ipads-have-outsold-android-tablets-24-to-1-2011-7
>>
>> Very incisive analysis:
>>
>>    How did he get there?
>>
>>    He took a look at the Android Developer dashboard and saw that 0.9%
>>    of Android devices have screens over 7 inches, which is the size of
>>    a tablet. He then multiplied that by 135 million, the number of
>>    Android devices out there according to CEO Larry Page. That number
>>    is 1.22 million Android tablets.
>>
>>    Apple has announced sales of 28.73 million iPads, which is 24X
>>    greater than Android tablets.
>>
>><chuckle>
>>
>> Some real tight numbers he's airing there.  <eyes roll>
>>
>> Geez, that leaves out my Android-based NookColor, which has "only" a
>> 7" screen.
>
> Good grief! Is /this/ the bullshit Shillton has based his entire
> elusive argument on ... the fallacious meanderings of some blogger?
>
> And not even the blogger himself (who apparently /sells/ blog space for
> $6000 a week - check out the "SPONSORSHIP" link), but some "reader"
> called "Thomas Scrace":
>
> [quote]
> Breakdown by Google of Android devices in use by screen size. âXlargeâ
> is defined as any screen 7 inches or larger. By Googleâs count, only
> 0.9% of activated in-use devices are tablets. Multiply that by the 135
> million total Android âdevicesâ that Larry Page announced last week
> during Googleâs quarterly analyst call, and you get 1.21 million
> tablets. Compare that to the 28.73 million iPads Apple sold through the
> end of June.
>
> (Thanks to DF reader Thomas Scrace.)
> [/quote]
>
> http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/07/25/android-tablets
>
> Hmm, let's check these "facts".
>
> First of all, the "screen size" page he links to is only a general
> guideline, and actually doesn't even fit various devices:
>
> [quote]
> As you design your UI for different screen sizes, you'll discover that
> each design requires a minimum amount of space. So, each generalized
> screen size above has an associated minimum resolution that's defined by
> the system. These minimum sizes are in "dp" unitsâthe same units you
> should use when defining your layoutsâwhich allows the system to avoid
> worrying about changes in screen density.
>
>     xlarge screens are at least 960dp x 720dp
>     large screens are at least 640dp x 480dp
>     normal screens are at least 470dp x 320dp
>     small screens are at least 426dp x 320dp
>
> Note: These minimum screen sizes were not as well defined prior to
> [...]

Microsoft uses AstroTurfing against Google at the moment.

Article in newspaper: http://www.fr-online.de/politik/meinung/der-mensch-denkt--google-lenkt/-/1472602/8736368/-/
Covered here too: http://netzwertig.com/2011/08/05/mangelnde-transparenz-uber-lobbyismus-in-der-internetwirtschaft/
http://blog.die-linke.de/digitalelinke/anti-google-pr-in-der-frankfurter-rundschau/

AstroTurfing is illegal in the EU.