Re: The H Looks at the GNU/Linux Desktop

____/ High Plains Thumper on Sunday 14 Aug 2011 03:11 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper on Saturday:

>>> Footnote references:
>>>
>>> [quote]
>>> 148. See California Groupâs Report on Remedial Effectiveness at 2â4
>>> (Aug. 30, 2007), New York v. Microsoft Corp., 224 F. Supp. 2d 76
>>> (D.D.C. 2002) (No. 98-1232), available at
>>> http://www.naag.org/assets/files/pdf/
>>> antitrust.2007-08-30_Filed_CA_Group_Effectiveness_Report.pdf
>>> [http://tinyurl.com/43en6fc]; see also Microsoft Corp., Annual Report
>>> (Form 10-K) at 67 (July 31, 2008), available at http://idea.sec.gov/
>>> Archives/edgar/data/789019/000119312508162768/d10k.htm. The profit
>>> margin for Microsoftâs client segment, which includes its Windows
>>> operating system, was 77% in fiscal year 2008. See id. at 23. The
>>> profit margin for Microsoftâs business division, which includes
>>> Office, was 65%. See id. at 26.
>>> [/quote]

>>> [quote]
>>> 149. See Operating System Market Share Survey, Net Applications, Dec.
>>> 2008, available at http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-
>>> market-share.aspx?qprid=8; California Groupâs Report on Remedial
>>> Effectiveness at 10 (Aug. 30, 2007), New York v. Microsoft Corp., 224
>>> F. Supp. 2d 76 (D.D.C. 2002) (No. 98-1232), available at
>>> http://www.naag.org/
>>> assets/files/pdf/antitrust.2007-08-30_Filed_CA_Group_Effectiveness_
>>> Report.pdf [http://tinyurl.com/43en6fc]. [/quote]

>>> [quote]
>>> 150. See California Groupâs Report on Remedial Effectiveness at 10
>>> (Aug. 30, 2007), New York v. Microsoft Corp., 224 F. Supp. 2d 76
>>> (D.D.C. 2002) (No. 98-1232), available at
>>> http://www.naag.org/assets/files/pdf/
>>> antitrust.2007-08-30_Filed_CA_Group_Effectiveness_Report.pdf.
>>>
>>> 151. See id.; see also Hadley Stern, Mac Updates vs. Windows Updates,
>>> OâREILLY NETWORK, May 20, 2004,
>>> http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2004/05/
>>> mac_updates_vs_windows_updates.html (contrasting Appleâs regular
>>> update schedule for its operating system with Microsoftâs and noting
>>> that âMicrosoftâs ... approach leaves innovation on a very slow
>>> timeframeâ).
>>>
>>> 152. See Robert Vamosi, Editorsâ Reviews: Windows Vista , CNET
>>> REVIEWS, Jan. 24, 2007,
>>> http://reviews.cnet.com/windows/windows-vista-home-
>>> premium/4505-3672_7-32013237.html?tag=prod.2 (labeling Vista a
>>> âwarmed- over Windows XP Home editionâ and noting that after five
>>> years of development âthereâs a definite âIs that all?â
>>> feelingâ); Ina Fried & Margaret Kane, Microsoft Revamps Its Plans for
>>> Longhorn, CNET NEWS, Aug. 27, 2004,
>>> http://www.news.com/Microsoft-revamps-its-plans-for-
>>> Longhorn/2100-1016_3-5327150.html (noting that Microsoft âhas not had
>>> a full release of its desktop operating system since Windows XP debuted
>>> in October 2001â).
>>>
>>> 153. Top Ten Terrible Tech Products, CNET CRAVE, Nov. 20, 2007,
>>> http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39029552,49293700-10,00.htm. [/quote]
>>
>> It's funny to see which sites they choose to reference, e.g. ones that
>> are funded by Apple and Microsoft and partly owned by Paul Allen.
>
> Oh, I think in this case it wasn't a deliberate choosing of the sources by
> how funded but for the information that was readily available at the time.
> It does not invalidate the points in the article as a scathing report on
> the history of Microsoft's anti-competitive actions that provided monopoly
> maintenance.

Court evidence (raw materiel) can be most compelling. Comes vs Microsoft shows
a lot of Microsoft crimes.

- --