Re: Games Industry moving to mobile platforms like Android/Linux

____/ Homer on Monday 29 Aug 2011 15:53 : \____

> [quote]
> Video games industry: Rise of the 'bedroom' developer
>
> On 17 August 2010, one of the UK's biggest games companies -
> Dundee-based Realtime Worlds - went into administration with the loss of
> more than 150 jobs.
>
> The company's collapse followed disappointment in the sector as the
> coalition government at Westminster cancelled planned tax breaks for the
> industry.
>
> Many experts predicted these hi-tech firms - full of young, mobile
> people - would simply move abroad in search of more sympathetic tax
> regimes.
>
> This once flourishing part of the Scottish - and the UK - economy was in
> terminal decline, they said.
>
> But the city's Abertay University, one of the few places in the UK you
> can take courses on video games design and development, is still
> churning out graduates keen to make their mark in the sector.
>
> One of them is Martyn Hunter, a 21-year-old from Kirkcaldy in Fife, who
> believes the collapse of Realtime was more a sign of rapid change in the
> industry, rather than a symbol of its decline.
>
> On starting his course three years ago, his ambition was to work on a
> big blockbuster title like Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto - but now
> he's more interested in becoming an indie games producer and join the
> the "bedroom developer" revolution.
>
> "Triple-A titles, major mainstream budgets just aren't going to work
> these days," he says.
>
> "I personally think that smaller, casual games for mobile platforms,
> Facebook and social networks are the way forward, because they require a
> lower budget and give a lot more creative freedom - which gives birth to
> such amazing new games."
>
> Far from being "depressing", Mr Hunter says it's actually a time of
> incredible opportunity for graduates entering the sector.
> [/quote]
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-14516350

Suddenly Windows (mobile) is the platform lacking developers, applications, and
hardware support/drivers. It's now resorting to AstroTurfing and embargo.

http://www.cio.com/article/688695/Microsoft_Sues_to_Prevent_Motorola_Sales_in_U.S.?source=rss_all&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cio%2Ffeed%2Farticles+%28CIO.com+Feed+-+Articles%29

http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000850.html