Re: Open Document Format (ODF) Spreads

____/ High Plains Thumper on Saturday 01 Oct 2011 18:19 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper on Saturday:

>>> Glad to hear that, Roy. I am glad that an open standard is
>>> succeeding, then every software developer has a reason to support
>>> it.
>>
>> Every software developer except Apple and Microsoft. Apple makes
>> half-hearted 'support' and promotes OOXML. Microsoft does too and it
>> even bastardises ODF.
>
> I haven't been following Apple too closely, but I am not impressed with
> their lawsuit against Samsung (how can one patent a rectangle?).

They try to label it trade dress. It's all just utter BS. They picked
a troll-friendly court, implying that Apple is just looking
to troll.

> Regarding Microsoft, yes, I remember how they came up with a borked
> plug-in that simply does not do proper conversion. Basically it is
> either Microsoft's way or the highway.
>
> [quote]
> Microsoft Breaks the Plugins [...]
>
> Sun is having trouble because Microsoft is breaking interoperability
> deliberately through hi-jinks with the Dynamic-Link Libraries ("dll") in
> Windows.
>
>  From Sun's Malte Timmermann's blog...
>
>      Q: Why doesn't it support Office 2007?
>
>      A: Well, basically, it does, but there is an issue in Word's 2007
> Filter API handling. You can save to ODF, but when you try to open ODF,
> Word ignores the installed filters and tries to open with it's own
> filters. Of course Word can't, so you get an error message "The Office
> Open XML file <name> cannot be opened because there are problems with
> the content". This even happens if you explicitly select the ODF filter!
> I hope Microsoft will fix this issue with the next service pack. If not,
> we will work around this bug by doing the same kind of integration like
> in PowerPoint and Excel.
> [/quote]
>
> http://fussnotes.typepad.com/plexnex/2007/08/microsoft-break.html
>
> This is enough to warrant government, organisations, companies and users
> to consider other products than Microsoft. I am glad to see that the
> trend is finally being broken (but of course not without a fight).

That still is no justice. Given all the corruption associated with
OOXML, it's amazing there have been arrests. Microsoft
gets away with quite a lot. Bribes, bullying, AstroTurfing, etc.

- --