Re: kmail: how to archive old post

  • Subject: Re: kmail: how to archive old post
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 04:44:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
Timothy Murphy wrote:

> What is the best way to save old email (eg from past years)
> so that it does not clutter up the Mail (or kmail) directory,
> but ancient items can be brought up reasonably easily if required?

Some people prefer to sort messages according to their nature. This has 2
problems:

-You are not guaranteed that folders will not over-inflate after a few
years.

-You need to manually move all messages to appropriate folders.

For several years I have been keeping a local directory called Archives with
structure as follows:

Archives

--Sent

  --2005

    --June
    --July
--Received

  [Likewise]

Once in several months, you move all messages from Inbox and Sent to the
appropriate level in the Archives.

It has not always been like that. I have learned from my mistakes ever since
2002 and this seems to be the most convenient way of handing mail. Using
the "include sub-directories" option, you can search all outgoing/all
incoming, search by year, search by month, etc.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com