Re: Windows Vista || Mac Tiger Comparison

  • Subject: Re: Windows Vista || Mac Tiger Comparison
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 06:30:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.2600
__/ [Noodles Jefferson] on Thursday 01 September 2005 05:10 \__

> In article <1125527977.425b66be3609c4969006b661db24b382@teranews>,
> theperfectreign@xxxxxxxxx (theperfectreign@xxxxxxxxx) dropped a +5
> bundle of words...
>
>> Finally it looks like Windows is going to be able to read meta data in
>> the FS. This is somehting promised with HPFS way back when and never
>> delivered (except in the OS/2 port of NT).
>>
>> Cool article describing the beta of Longhorn/Vista/XP (service pack 3)
>> vs. Mac OS 10 Tiger.
>>
>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_beta1_vs_tiger_01.asp

He is a Microsoft advocate that dude, with a few exceptions, e.g.:

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47208/47208.html?Ad=1

Still, this site runs on a Windows server and is biased to promote Windows.
Thurrott was noted to have written a positive review about Tiger a few
months ago, but he still wrote some book/s, as far as I know, to help
Microsoft spread their 'pearls of wisdom'.

> Dear Microsoft,
> Spare me the doodads and give me an OS that won't be a haven for
> spyware/virii and for the love of all that's tasty and good, please let
> me run scandisk by hitting windowKey, r, typing scandisk and hitting
> enter.

I still do it it in Windows 98. Does it not work anymore? I am fairly sure
that I can still call 'notepad' and 'wordpad' from "Run...".

> Lose the system restore because IT'S NEVER WORKED IN ANY
> INCARNATION OF YOUR OS. Oh and lose that documents and settings idea.
> It's pretty confusing seeing a whole separate folder system from my My
> Computer.

Totally agree on that one. Also remind Microsoft that while the desktop
physically lies on a desk, it is darn stupid to put My Computer ('My'
prefix has been dropped) atop the Desktop. As far as I am concerned, the
Desktop exists only once the computer was set up.

> Not to mention that's where half of your spyware/virii hide
> now, in those fucked up temp folders that won't let me see what's in
> them no matter what attributes I set for the folder.

This would have been prevented if they had the notion of 'root'. I think
they are working on a chmod-like mechanism at the moment. They always need
to copy from the best. Looks from the Mac, security and administration from
_nix.

> Your slave by default,
> Noodles

Break the shackles and upgrade (see sig.)

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
  6:15am  up 7 days 22:57,  4 users,  load average: 0.79, 0.80, 0.89