Re: Vista to Help Linux Boost

__/ [Linønut] on Wednesday 15 February 2006 12:07 \__

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/software/soa/A_new_Vista_on_Linux/0,39023769,39231792,00.htm

>> A new Vista on Linux
>>
>> "With Linux continuing its struggle to convince the world's businesses
>> that it's a viable Windows alternative, David Braue asks if the pending
>> release of Windows Vista could finally provide the boost it's been waiting
>> for."
>
> Starts with some bullshit:
>
>    "More than five years ago the launch of Microsoft Windows XP -- and
>    its considerably improved features and reliability compared with
>    Windows 98 and 2000 -- made a comprehensive desktop rollout a
>    no-brainer for companies. The other options -- still-nascent Linux,
>    IBM's all-but-dead OS/2, or unstable DOS-based versions of Windows --
>    were all far from desirable."
>
> Amazing how much bullshit can be packed into a single paragraph.
> Followed immediately by more bullshit:
>
>    "Now, as the world gears up for the launch of Windows Vista, the
>    conclusion may not be so cut and dry. Certainly, Vista is set to be
>    feature-packed and reliable, and many companies will move to the new
>    platform as a matter of course. However, Linux has come a long way in
>    five years, with the concerted effort of hobbyists around the world
>    supplemented by the resources of tech heavyweights to push its
>    desktop features to near-parity with Windows XP."
>
> FUD'ing by faint praise, methinks.
>
> But there are some decent points in the article.

Nowadays, you should fairly satisfied when influential sources media outlets
such as ZDNet even bother to mention Linux. Many journalists still mention
the Mac every now and then, yet FUD often prevents the public from reading
about Linux as a viable alternative. To many journalists (paid job, not
bloggers), Linux is still perceived as somewhat of a Red Threat.

As in most journalism which is intended for a largely Windows-oriented crowd,
Windows has to be defended. If Linux is said to be "almost on par with
Windows XP" (which is an understatement of course), I'll just take what they
give. It's a start.