Re: [News] [Rival] OOXML Has "Crime" Written All Over It

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 01:12:55 -0700, John Locke wrote:

> I would hope to see a shakeup at the top, some major down sizing and a
> whole new set of software development policies that give the customers
> what they want instead of what Microsoft wants.

That's the problem alright.  MS dominates a software niche that is
becoming commoditized, in the sense that multiple low-cost choices are
becoming available.  The marketplace is doing to Microsoft what Microsoft
did to Netscape.  MS has been a hugely successful licensing franchise...
can it achieve success as a service company?  I doubt it.  For one thing,
management will postpone the reckoning for as long as possible, which is
what they are trying to do with Vista.

Charlie