[News] More Problems with Windows Vista Firewall

Windows Vista's Firewall offers false sense of security

,----[ Quote ]
| Knowing that Windows Vista's firewall is capable of outbound
| blocking, but that it wrongfully defaults to let all programs
| access the Internet when it should let none, we were looking
| for an intuitive way to correct the problem. After going into
| Windows Vista's Control Panel, the link that said "Allow a
| program through Windows Firewall" made the most sense to us.
| As a side note, we were logged in with administrator
| privileges during this test.
`----

http://content.zdnet.com/2346-10741_22-53425-1.html

Dear Windows Vista Firewall...

,----[ Quote ]
| When I ask you (repeatedly, and on multiple occasions) to turn off,
| why do you insist on re-activating yourself at random? Please go away.
`----

http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/dear-windows-vista-firewall/

Related:

Installing A PS/2 Mouse Turns Off Firewall, Huh!

,----[ Quote ]
| I plugged in the PS/2 mouse, rebooted the PC and on restart XP found the
| PS/2 mouse and suggested rebooting again, which I did. When it restarted
| the Microsoft Firewall had been switched off. How do I know, because it
| told me I had no firewall.
`----

http://crunchysoftware.wordpress.com/2006/12/09/ps2-mouse-turns-off-firewall/

There is also a lot of criticism of Vista's built-in firewall, which if I
recall correctly, permits all outgoing traffic by default. It's about not
trying to break enterprise applications, I imagine, but security is clearly
compromised here.