COLA Stats: Saturday the 23rd of June, 2007.

  • Subject: COLA Stats: Saturday the 23rd of June, 2007.
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 07:57:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The [H]omer award for COLA Advocate of the Week:

alt <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
(Discussing one of the many ways that GNU/Linux defeats hackers)

.----
| There was an article I read about a LAMP system being hacked
| through a PHP exploit. SELinux was enabled on the machine and they
| had server logs indicating that the hacker spent a long time
| (something like an hour or two) attempting in vain to get his
| rootscript to run.
|
| The hack didn't succeed because Apache didn't have permissions to
| execute scripts in the SELinux ruleset.
`----

ngstats.pl version 1.22

Written by Roy Culley.
Contributions from Mark Kent.
Modifications by [H]omer, 2007.

This report covers 2403 articles received by this system to
newsgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy [1]
Toplist of Posters

 Pos  Poster                                          Msgs   Bytes Quoted
   1. Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>     414  747635    14%
   2. Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                       96  145465    71%
   3. [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx>                            79   96245    31%
   4. chrisv <chrisv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                    78   37394    55%
   5. Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                   66   57818    47%
   6. Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>                 64  545571    12%
   7. John Bailo                                        62   36831    49%
   8. Peter Köhlmann <Peter.Koehlmann@xxxxxxxxxxx>      57   63206    67%
   9. The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   53  102731    49%
  10. DooFuS - Moronic Fascist                          49   62786    62%
  11. jerryeveretts - CSMA Troll                        45   49699    74%
  12. 7 <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>        43   51797    63%
  13. BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                    42   81389    50%
  14. Tim 'Funkenbusch Wannabee' Smith                  34   25229    40%
  15. Oxford - Mac Looney                               33   35990    56%
      Geoff Miller <geoffm@xxxxxxxx>                    33   31973    30%
  17. none - CSMA Refugee                               32   27138    52%
  18. cc - Shifty MS Apologist                          27   47549    70%
      William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>              27   41520    70%
      Rod Speed - CSMA Troll                            27   42699    75%
      amicus_curious - TROLL                            27   89274    61%
      Brontide - Mac Idiot                              27   19347    34%
       Ramon F Herrera <ramon@xxxxxxxxxxx>              27   29386    57%
  24.  Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>              22  109904    20%
      Mitch - CSMA Refugee                              22   32241    36%
      Elmo P. Shagnasty - CSMA Refugee                  22   12044    55%
  27. Justin - .Net k00k                                21   17008    82%
      Jim <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>               21   45421    64%
       dapunka <dapunka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                 21   30301    61%
  30. spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                              19   17304    51%
Toplist of Subjects

 Pos  Subject                                                Msgs   Bytes
   1. 1 Million Downloads of Apple's Safari Browser!          280  323690
   2. The great iPhone hunt of 2007                           226  236439
   3. Sun CEO to Torvalds: Let's work together, Torvalds      168  189309
   4. Linux Distros and the Scientific Process                 79  124209
   5. Hadron Quarks nntp source                                59   68968
   6. AIOE alternatives?                                       42   42035
   7. MS Lawsuits - what no one has noticed.....               38   49050
   8. Microsoft "Protection" Good For Linux                    36   79322
      What if Sun wrote the Solaris kernel as a drop-in        36   35789
  10. Choosing the right OS between Mac OS X, Linux dist       33   85344
  11. Linux newbee - Why won't linux recognize my hardwa       32   58618
  12. [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Disappoints Acer and        30   30519
  13. OSX Leopard - 300 New Features!                          27   66620
  14. The final proof: Windows XP safer than RedHat Linu       25   17501
  15. Micoshaft Destroyed in Norway                            22   25322
  16. OT: Is Google punishing Ebay?                            20   20524
  17. Why Linux Switch To GPLv3 - to Kill Micoshaft Corp       19   38643
  18. Space Station Computers --->> What OS?                   18   15749
  19. Does anyone doubt that Hadron's a scumbag?               17   24311
      [News] [Linux] Torvalds Likes Tivoization, GPLv3 M       17   27977
  21. [News] [Linux] Major Setback for Microsoft in Norw       15   22784
      Windows vs Linux = A Cadillac dealer or a salvage        15   16120
      Vista: the most secure BY FAR.                           15   13086
  24. OT - Physical Hard-drive Errors                          13   15891
      Linux is winning ..                                      13   13933
      [News] [Rival] Will Britain Be Next to Shut the Do       13   16596
      Apple: iPhone battery better than expected               13    9267
  28. colatrolls.blogspot.com                                  12    5678
      Instaslop                                                12   10329
  30. [News] [Rival] Who Ever Said That Choosing Microso       11   19432
Toplist of Most Replied To Posters

 Pos  Poster                                                         Msgs
   1. Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                    142
   2. [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx>                                           62
   3. Oxford - Mac Looney                                              61
   4. Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                                      56
   5. jerryeveretts - CSMA Troll                                       51
   6. Geoff Miller <geoffm@xxxxxxxx>                                   44
   7. chrisv <chrisv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                                   43
   8. John Bailo                                                       41
   9. Peter Köhlmann <Peter.Koehlmann@xxxxxxxxxxx>                     34
      none - CSMA Refugee                                              34
      Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                                  34
  12. BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                                   33
  13. DooFuS - Moronic Fascist                                         29
       Ramon F Herrera <ramon@xxxxxxxxxxx>                             29
  15. Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>                                28
  16. Doug Mentohl <doug_mentohl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                        27
  17. Jim <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                              26
  18. The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>         25
      Elmo P. Shagnasty - CSMA Refugee                                 25
  20. Brontide - Mac Idiot                                             24
  21. Tim 'Funkenbusch Wannabee' Smith                                 21
      Justin - .Net k00k                                               21
      7 <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                       21
  24. amicus_curious - TROLL                                           20
  25. John Locke <johnlocke98513@xxxxxxxxxxx>                          19
  26. William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                             18
      Peter Hayes <notinuse2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                           18
  28. cc - Shifty MS Apologist                                         16
      spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                                             16
      Rod Speed - CSMA Troll                                           16
Toplist of Troll Feeders [2]

 Pos  Poster                                                     Msgs   %
   1. jerryeveretts - CSMA Troll                                   41  91
   2. Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                              28  42
      Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                                  28  29
   4. chrisv <chrisv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                               20  26
   5. Peter Köhlmann <Peter.Koehlmann@xxxxxxxxxxx>                 18  32
   6. none - CSMA Refugee                                          17  53
   7. Geoff Miller <geoffm@xxxxxxxx>                               16  48
   8. Mitch - CSMA Refugee                                         15  68
   9. 7 <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                   13  30
  10. John Bailo                                                   12  19
      Oxford - Mac Looney                                          12  36
  12. Peter Hayes <notinuse2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                       10  67
  13. The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>      9  17
      Rod Speed - CSMA Troll                                        9  33
  15. BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                                8  19
      Brontide - Mac Idiot                                          8  30
  17. [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx>                                        7   9
      Tim 'Funkenbusch Wannabee' Smith                              7  21
      Justin - .Net k00k                                            7  33
      Andrea <a.libiszewski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                       7  58
  21. Kurt <labolide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                                6  43
      Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                  6   1
      Alan Baker <alangbaker@xxxxxxxxx>                             6  50
  24. Jim <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                           5  24
      George Graves <gmgraves2@xxxxxxxxxxx>                         5  31
      Sandman - REPREHENSIBLE LIAR                                  5  71
      Jon Harrop <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                            5  45
  28. Au79 <au79@xxxxxxx>                                           4 100
      snit - Ridiculous MAC Troll                                   4  22
      William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                          4  15
Toplist of 'Quality' Posters [3]

 Pos  Poster                                                        Index
   1. Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                    138
   2. Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>                                80
   3.  Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>                             74
   4. [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx>                                           65
      Doug Mentohl <doug_mentohl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                        65
   6. Ian Hilliard <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                           63
      spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                                             63
   8.  dapunka <dapunka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                                60
   9. Jim <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                              59
  10. Jeanette <jrusso2@xxxxxxxxxxx>                                   58
       Ramon F Herrera <ramon@xxxxxxxxxxx>                             58
  12. The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>         55
  13. Geico Caveman <spammers-go-here@xxxxxxxxxxxx>                    52
      AB <fardblossom@xxxxxxxxx>                                       52
      William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                             52
      BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                                   52
  17. flyer <flyer@xxxxxxxxx>                                          51
      Oldtech <me@xxxxxxxxx>                                           51
      Manny <manny@xxxxxxxxxx>                                         51
      Kelsey Bjarnason <kbjarnason@xxxxxxxxx>                          51
  21. Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                                  50
      John Locke <johnlocke98513@xxxxxxxxxxx>                          50
      AZ Nomad <aznomad.2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                         50
  24. chrisv <chrisv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                                   48
      thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                 48
  26. Jim Richardson <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx>                              47
      alt <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>                                      47
       Dean G. <dguttadauro@xxxxxxxx>                                  47
  29. 7 <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                       46
       nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>       46
Toplist of X-No-Archive Posters

 Pos  Poster                                                         Msgs
   1. Justin - .Net k00k                                               42
   2. Elmo P. Shagnasty - CSMA Refugee                                 22
   3. flatfish - Mental-Ward Escapee                                    6
   4. Scott en Aztlan - CSMA Troll                                      4
   5. Huge <Huge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                                  3
   6. Pegleg <Pegleg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                                     2
   7. Meat Plow - IDIOT                                                 1
Toplist of Newsreaders

 Pos  Newsreader                                                     Msgs
   1. KNode                                                           641
   2. slrn                                                            289
   3. G2/1.0                                                          279
   4. Microsoft Outlook Express                                       183
   5. Pan                                                             180
   6. Mozilla                                                         123
   7. Thunderbird                                                     110
   8. MT-NewsWatcher/3.5.2 (PPC Mac OS X)                             104
   9. Forte Agent                                                     102
  10. tin                                                              53
  11. MT-NewsWatcher/3.5.1 (Intel Mac OS X)                            28
  12. pan 0.120 (Plate of Shrimp)                                      27
  13. Thoth/1.7.2 (Carbon/OS X)                                        25
  14. MT-NewsWatcher/3.5.2 (Intel Mac OS X)                            18
      Microsoft-Entourage/11.2.1.051004                                18
  16. MicroPlanet-Gravity/2.70.2067                                    17
      Xnews                                                            17
  18. Hogwasher/4.3                                                    16
  19. Gnus                                                             15
      MacSOUP                                                          15
  21. MT-NewsWatcher/3.4 (PPC Mac OS X)                                10
  22. Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6000.16480                             8
      Sylpheed                                                          8
  24. nn/6.6.2                                                          7
      gnus                                                              7
  26. Unison/1.7.9                                                      5
      40tude_Dialog                                                     5
      knews                                                             5
  29. XanaNews/1.18.1.6                                                 4
  30. Unison/1.7.7                                                      3
[1]: Posts via mail to news gateways are dropped by this server
     and hence not included in the stats.
     Other attention seeking posters may not appear as well.
[2]: Troll feeder %'age is (troll feeding posts / total posts) * 100
[3]: The poster 'quality' stats is based on:
       a) quoting: 100 - %'age quoted
       b) cross-posting: 100 - %'age cross-posted
       c) number of direct followups posters articles get
       d) troll feeding: 100 - 2.0 * %'age troll followups
       e) 75 deducted for known trolls
       f) for the humour impaired the quotes around 'quality'
          are intended to convey they are not to be taken too
          seriously :-)

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "People are not happy in stinking hellholes of abject poverty, what
| is true is that once you cross subsistence ... additional increases
| in wealth have virtually no effect on well-being ... This is worth
| knowing in case you have a choice between "X" and making more
| money, almost certainly "X" is what you should choose."
|   - Barry Schwartz
`----

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
 07:55:38 up 17 days, 19:41,  3 users,  load average: 0.64, 0.69, 0.82