[News] Spear-Phishing Tool Becomes Free Software

Free Spear-Phishing Tool on Tap

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source tool aimed at penetration testers lets them customize phishing
| attacks on their organizations
|
| [...]
|
| “I decided to make this open source,” Perrymon says, so organizations can get
| see how easy these attacks can be done and to find ways to secure
| themselves. “There’s no reason for the bad guys” to only have that knowledge
| and ability, he says.
`----

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=161965&WT.svl=news2_1

Recent:

ICANN Goes .bonkers

,----[ Quote ]
| For the former, it means that domain names will turn into a kind of
| protection racket: every so often, somebody will come up with some new
| domain – things along the lines of .mug, I imagine – that all companies will
| be invited to sign up for, just to protect their trademarks, you understand.
|
| For end-users, the already-confusing system of domains will become utterly
| impossible to grasp. This means that phishing schemes and
| generally-fraudulent Web sites will become almost trivially easy to
| implement. The public simply won't know which domain name to trust, with the
| result that confidence in e-commerce, and maybe even the entire Web, will
| collapse.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=972&blogid=14

Related:

Phish fighters floored by DDoS assault

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest phase in an ongoing botnet powered onslaught that
| began on 13 February rendered the site largely inaccessible onM
| onday (19 February).
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/20/castlecops_ddos/

Microsoft Applies For Patent Telling You If A Website Is On A List Of
Phishing Sites

,----[ Quotebb ]
| It seems that every few days when new patents are announced there are
| a few gems from Microsoft. Take, for example, Microsoft's latest
| patent application on Phishing Detection, Prevention, and Notification...
| Update: Clarifying that this is simply a patent application, not a
| granted patent -- but the fact that Microsoft even thinks it's
| worth applying for such a patent highlights the way the system
| works these days.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20070216/013012.shtml

IE7's anti-phising scheme worries small business owners

,----[ Quote ]