Re: [News] Major Plasma Additions to KDE4, Special Effects

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:11:00 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> KDE Commit Digest: 3rd August 2008
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The Plasma "extenders" project is merged into kdebase, with initial |
> integration into the kuiserver applet. Continued work on the |
> systray-refactor, and more work on the "Weather" Plasmoid. A whole load
> of | bugfixes for Kicker 3.5.10. A new "Magic Lamp" minimize effect, and
> a rework | of the "Grid" effect in kwin-composite. Support for
> extracting artwork from | iPod's, tag editing and removing files from
> MTP devices, and scriptable | services (including a "web control"
> script), and lots of other developments | in Amarok 2.0.
> `----
>
> http://commit-digest.org/issues/2008-08-03/
>
> Configuring the Plasma Panel

....or not, as the case may be. KDE 4 is going the wrong way!
Has anyone bothered to tell the developers that although quite attractive
for some, thousands of XP and Vista users turn off (or try to) the eye-candy
because of visual impairment or other accessibility requirements.
Last time I looked at the wife's machine (Kubuntu KDE 4.1) I could find no
way of turning off the visual effects. Wrong way to go!

If developers continue to develop a desktop where large sections of potential
users cannot use their offerings, then this means that /all/ KDE 4x distros
cannot be used by visually impaired people, eventually leaving Gnome to
fulfil their needs. This verges on discrimination IMO.

As an aside Roy, your post shows up here with a time-stamp of 10.11PM.
Moshe posted a reply, timed at 9.24PM
How can this be?

All the best,

Tony(UK)