Re: [News] US Government + Hollywood Collaborate to Kill Net Radio, 'Steal' Music

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Monday 18 August 2008 20:49 : \____

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/16/gop-presidential-candidate

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080818-pandora-cant-make-money-may-pull-the-plug.html

>> Yup. Passing laws to declare the competition "illegal" or "irrelevant".
>>
>> Maximalist monopolists.
>
> http://www.loc.gov/crb/
>
> To be fair, the laws are described in
> http://www.loc.gov/crb/laws/ (Title 17, chapter 8,
> sections 801-805, and Title 17, chapter 10 of the USC),
> and the change may have been fomented by the Copyright
> Royalty and Distribution Reform Act of 2004 (PL 108-419,
> signed 2004-11-30) and the Copyright Royalty Judges Program
> Technical Corrections Act (PL 109-303, signed 2006-02-06).
>
> Someone sponsored those laws.  I'd have to look who.
> http://thomas.loc.gov/ might assist there.
> Both PL 108-419 and PL 109-303 were sponsored by Lamar Smith,
> Republican, 21st district of Texas.
>
> http://www.loc.gov/crb/claims/
>
> shows links to three royalty claim forms: one for cable
> transmission (which may or may not include DSL; that's
> going to be interesting), satellite transmission (aka
> "broadcasting", presumably), and "DART", which stands for
> digital audio recording technology (one wonders whether
> DVRT is another acronym, and whether the actual recording
> technology -- DAT, CD, DVD, streaming -- makes a lot
> of difference).
>

>> Recent:
>>
>> Royalty fee 'to damage net radio'
>
> In the same manner presumably as Hiroshima and
> Nagasaki damaged Japan's industrial war capacity.
>

>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Hundreds of US net radio stations face potential closure from Monday when
>> | they will be expected to comply with a new royalties ruling for playing
>> | music.
>> |
>> | Smaller stations face a payment increase of 1,200% while larger station
>> | could owe up to 300% more, lobby group SaveNetRadio has said.
>> `----

> And remember, DRM is here to protect you the consumer.  Not.  :-P
>
> Though in all fairness I hope DRM at least makes a token
> attempt at protecting all of the music artists.  (In
> a modern production there's a large number thereof:
> singers, lyric writers, performing musicians, mixing
> studios/artists, and arrangers come to mind.  One can
> also look at the credits of any of a large number of
> modern movie productions, where everyone from the
> executive director to third string gaffer are listed. ;-)
> But they're all needed -- that light does have to move,
> after all.)

http://www.archive.org/details/e-dv203_cambridge_4_stallman_08-04_003.ogg

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Microsoft loves competition.
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to
everything it touches."

                --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO