Re: IBM 'advises' staff to opt for a Microsoft Office-free world

On Aug 16, 4:27 pm, "DFS" <nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> > For a company that sells services and hardware, it's just a poor
> > decision to serve people non-Free software. They don't need to work
> > this way.
>
> But you do Spamowitz, otherwise you have no hope of finding a job:

These days, it's pretty much critical to no BOTH commercial AND OSS.
The commercial software is the "primary" skills, but the OSS software
is where you provide the extra VALUE to the CUSTOMER (Employer,
client, employer's client,...).

Typically, on any project, there are both elements.  The commercial
software such a Oracle, DB2, Websphere, SAP, ... is the software that
holds the "Crown jewels", but the other piece, PERL, Apache, PHP,
AJAX, Eclipse, Linux,... are the accelerators that give you the
competitive advantage and help you get the project done more quickly.
The OSS can help you shave as much as 30-40% of the total development
effort off a project.

> Programming Languages: C/C++, Java, Visual Basic, MATLAB, Pascal, PHP,
> Prolog, ML, RISC ASM.

I'm assuming those are Roy's skills, and those are good skills to
have.  I'd also recommend adding PERL, PHP, AJAX, and Ruby, probably
in that order.

> Operating Systems: UNIX/Linux (most variants), Windows
> 3x/95/98/2000/ME/NT/XP, Mac OS 9/10+, DOS, Palm OS.

Roy would have no trouble getting a job in a "traditional" programming
environment.  He is more interested in Medical Biophysics.  That's a
very specialized field and there are some more advanced skills
required for that.  My guess is that when Dr Schestowitz graduates, he
will be too busy to post to cola.  But knowing Roy, he'll find a
little free time to post a few tidbits.

> http://www.schestowitz.com/roy/
Had to follow the short vitae link.

DFS, I've never seen your Vitae/Resume.  Care to share it with us?

I forgot, all WinTrolls in this group seem to need to remain
completely anonymous.