Office 2007 the Microsoft Office Eqivalent of Vistaster

"Microsoft Office 2007 is, like Microsoft Windows Vista, a steaming pile of
penguin feces. What I really love about OpenOffice is the fact that it is
quite stable in comparison to Microsoft Office 2007, which has become nearly
impossible to use because it randomly locks up, crashes, or a myriad of other
issues."

http://digg.com/linux_unix/The_entire_State_of_Pahang_moves_to_OpenOffice_org?t=17812463#c17812463

Recent:

Benchmarking Microsoft Word 95 through Word 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite all the tweaks, tricks, hacks, and clever engineering, Microsoft's
| latest version of Word is a step back in performance. That's generally true
| of every new major release of any software. That's Wirth's Law. When Windows
| 95 came out, people joking exaggeratedly that "95" was the number of floppies
| Windows 95 shipped on. Though Windows 95 actually shipped on many fewer
| floppies, the point is that Windows 95 was a huge, slower beast compared to
| its predecessors. (Does anyone remember Windows 3.1, OS/2 Warp, and
| DESQview?) There were similar complaints for XP, and Vista's performance was
| the subject of the infamous "Vista Capable" class action lawsuit against
| Microsoft.
`----

http://www.oooninja.com/2008/07/benchmarking-microsoft-word-95-2007.html

Related:

Connected: Microsoft Office 2003 better than Office 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| A review of Office 2007 could be considered doomed from the start. Its
| predecessor, Office 2003, is one of the best products Microsoft ever created;
| so the bar is raised high. After a year of using the newer product, I still
| see some features that are better than the older version; but on the whole,
| I'd rather be using Office 2003.
`----

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08089/868925-96.stm

Partners Fix Up Office 2007 and Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| On Friday, Addintools, based in Hai-nan, China released Classic Menu for
| Office 2007, after more than six months of beta testing. The user interface
| enhancement does what Office 2007 can't: Revert to the Office 2003 look and
| feel.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/channel/partners_fix_up_office_2007_and_windows_vista.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Why Microsoft's ribbon sucks

,----[ Quote ]
| Bottom line, I have a lot of respect for Microsoft and many of the
| outstanding people that work there (e.g. Bill Buxton).
|
| But the new ribbon sucks.
|
| I've been using it daily for months (Word, Powerpoint, Excel), and I
| consistently stumble on the same functions over and over again. I doubt I
| will ever master it. And I'm an interface designer!
`----

http://www.dexodesign.com/2007/08/why-microsofts-ribbon-sucks.html

July 1: No more Office 2003 for OEMs

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s only been six months since Microsoft launched Office 2007 at retail. But
| as of July 1, 2007,  Microsoft won’t be making the OEM version of Office 2003
| to its PC partners, a k a “OEMs.”
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft has told OEMs that they must stop selling Windows XP preloaded on
| machines as of January 29, 2008. Retailers also are required to stop selling
| XP on that date.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=519

Poor Design by Microsoft - "Save As" Button in 2007 Excel has been located!

,----[ Quote ]
| In an experiment 4 out of 5 users took longer than 2 minutes to find
| the SAVE AS button. And 3 of those users needed to use the PAPER CLIP
| (CLIPPY). This is clearly poor design upon Microsoft. They never think
| about the end user. The menu structure is horrific and it has been
| proven inefficient!
`----

http://www.fumbled.org/2007/04/20/poor-design-by-microsoft-save-as-button-in-2007-excel-has-been-located/

Bold Redesign Improves Office 2007 But Learning Curve May Be Too Steep for
Some Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "it requires a steep learning curve that many people might rather avoid.
| In my own tests, I was cursing the program for weeks"

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116786111022966326-T8UUTIl2b10DaW11usf4NasZTYI_20080103.html

Office 2007 may be Microsoft's Titanic: former Government IT boss

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates has been talking up Office 2007 ahead of its business launch
| on November 30. However, the recently departed deputy CIO of one of
| Australia's biggest government Microsoft sites believes introducing
| the new version of Microsoft Office may be the company's biggest
| ever disaster.

Question: why do I need to upgrade to Office 2007?

,----[ Quote ]
| Much has been said and written about Microsoft's "bold", "gutsy",
| and "innovative" initiative of releasing Office 2007, an office
| productivity suite with a totally new user interface. However, the
| question that is bound to be on the lips of every user will be: "why
| do I need to upgrade?" Microsoft doesn't really have a good answer.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft, however, claims to have come up with something better
| and more intuitive - the Ribbon. Such a claim begs the question:
| "If the new user interface of Office 2007 is so intuitive, why does
| it have a learning curve?" And it does have a learning curve - a
| very steep learning curve.

Office 2007 Review: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back - Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://byronmiller.typepad.com/byronmiller/2007/04/office_2007_one.html