[News] Oracle Wants Credit for Developing Linux

Open Enterprise: Oracle, the biggest Linux vendor

,----[ Quote ]
| Quick -- name a company that has invested heavily and continuously in
| open-source, is one of the top contributors to Linux kernel development and
| offers full enterprise support for Linux to thousands of customers.
|
| Were you thinking of Oracle Corp.? Probably not, but that's something the
| company would like to change.
|
| "When I read magazines and there's a list of companies that are involved with
| Linux -- and Oracle is not on that list -- that's when I get angry," says Wim
| Coekaerts, Oracle's director of Linux engineering.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=databases&articleId=9001147&taxonomyId=53&intsrc=kc_feat

Recent:

LinuxWorld: Oracle shares plans for green datacentre Video

,----[ Quote ]
| At the LinuxWorld conference in San Francisco, Oracle chief information
| officer Mark Sunday explains the techniques behind Project Sequoia, the
| company's new datacentre in Utah. By utilising outside air, hot aisle
| containment and independently controlled supercells, he says this will be its
| most efficient datacentre yet.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39458173,00.htm

Oracle Counters Microsoft's .Net Initiative

,----[ Quote ]
| Countering the .Net initiative that bitter rival Microsoft Corp. announced
| earlier this year, Oracle Corp. last week released software for use in
| developing and managing online services.
|
| In a swipe at Microsoft, which doesn't expect to deliver a full portfolio of
| its .Net-based technologies for two years or more, Oracle is informally
| referring to its Oracle9i Dynamic Services software as .Now.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=web_services&articleId=55345&taxonomyId=61&intsrc=kc_top

Oracle: Gimme an L. Gimme an I. Gimme an N-U-X

,----[ Quote ]
| Enterprise software giant Oracle is at LinuxWorld this week, positioning
| itself as head cheerleader for widespread adoption in the Enterprise. In
| addition to a keynote speech that discussed Oracle’s position around Linux,
| as well as details of its own deployment, there were two announcements issued
| today.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9582

Oracle releases VM virtualization templates, boasts Linux momentum

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle expanded on two key initiatives at the LinuxWorld conference being
| held this week in San Francisco -- Oracle VM and Oracle Unbreakable Linux.
|
| Oracle is making the installation of Oracle VM easier -- at least for some.
| It is releasing a series of preconfigured templates for deploying software on
| its server virtualization technology.
`----

http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid41_gci1324168,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/5uk4ya

Related:

Why Larry loves Linux (and he’s not alone)

,----[ Quote ]
| How? Last quarter, the business software giant pointed out that its database
| market share actually tends to improve when customers move to Linux, which
| has been a fast-growing server operating system for much of the decade. And
| Oracle is poised to capitalize on open-source trends in other ways. For
| instance, the company distributes Linux for free, and makes money by offering
| support.
|
| So far so good: earlier this year CEO Larry Ellison reported that Oracle is
| in the early stages of selling high-margin Linux support contracts, some for
| as much as $500,000 a pop. Ellison claims the open-source strategy is also
| helping to lure database business away from competitors. “We’re just taking
| share right away from IBM on mainframes and we’re taking share away from
| Microsoft using Linux,” he told analysts in September.
| More from Big Tech
|
| The Linux love-fest doesn’t stop with Oracle.
`----

http://bigtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2007/12/19/why-larry-loves-linux-and-hes-not-alone/

Oracle 11g: First on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The newest database will ship in August, but Oracle offers no details on
| Windows or other versions.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,134381-c,databases/article.html

Oracle 11g ships first on Linux, not Microsoft Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Forrester, Oracle's share of the DBMS market has declined to the
| point where the platform has become less strategic to Oracle, Yuhanna said.
|
| "Oracle is already betting on Linux to succeed by putting strong R&D and
| marketing efforts around it," Yuhanna said. "Simply put, if Linux grows,
| Oracle grows."
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1268047,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/3ypqxv

Oracle opens up latest Linux enhancements

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle Corp. is busy at LinuxWorld, Wednesday opening up its latest work with
| the Linux community to improve the enterprise capabilities of the open-source
| operating system.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/080807-linuxworld-oracle-opens-up-latest.html

Oracle claims no Linux ulterior motive

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle is using LinuxWorld to try and calm concerns its Enterprise Linux and
| Unbreakable Linux Network (ULN) will fork Red Hat and fragment the Linux
| market.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/08/08/oracle_uln_red_hat/

Is Unbreakable a long-term Linux play?