[News] GNU/Linux Ensures System Reliability, Enhanced User Experience,

Vantage Legrand Intros New Touchscreen Options with Open Source Tool

,----[ Quote ]
| Ensuring system reliability and an enhanced user experience, the TPT650, an
| Intel (News - Alert) X-Scale processor, runs a Linux operating system,
| company officials say.
`----

http://opensourcepbx.tmcnet.com/topics/open-source/articles/36779-vantage-legrand-intros-new-touchscreen-options-with-open.htm
http://tinyurl.com/6p2mwf

Recent:

Reliability Study Serves Up Good News For Linux Users

,----[ Quote ]
| It is interesting to note why Windows Server 2003 lost ground in this year's
| survey: Administrators spent more time patching security flaws than they did
| the previous year. On the other hand, we're still talking about less than two
| extra hours per year, on average. Just the fact that these kinds of
| differences are now so significant speaks volumes about just how much both
| Linux and Windows have improved over the past decade as server platforms.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2008/05/reliability_stu.html

Ubuntu hits new high in Linux boredom

,----[ Quote ]
| Last weekend a friend was moaning about endless problems with Windows XP on
| his desktop PC. We installed Ubuntu 7.04 on it. The problems went away. That
| started me thinking about my own "daily driver" computer, a Dell Latitude
| that also runs Ubuntu 7.04, and it made me realize that I hadn't thought
| about my laptop or its operating system in many months. Linux -- especially
| Ubuntu -- has become so reliable and simple that for most end users it's
| simply not worth thinking about, any more than we think about tools like
| wrenches and screwdrivers.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/141546

Microsoft’s eco system: cracks in the reliability

,----[ Quote ]
| PlayForSure
|
| PlayForSure (DRM codename: Janus) was introduced by Microsoft in 2004/2005 to
| mark players which have been certified to follow Microsoft’s dream list:
| Windows Media Player compatibility, DRM support, MTP-only support, and so on.
| Originally this was also an attempt to push Ogg Vorbis out of the field.
| The basic idea was that every player could be used on any Windows System
| which had Windows Media Player 10 installed. And that every player would play
| any music sold in any PlayForSure store.
|
| [...]
|
| Outlook Express and Hotmail
|
| Outlook Express is an e-mail client shipped with all Microsoft versions since
| Windows 98 and before Windows Vista. Although it was responsible for many
| large scaled virus attacks and spreads due to a horrible security concept and
| had many more, other technical shortcomings and problems it was widely used.
| And it was of course often used with Microsoft’s own E-Mail service, Hotmail.
|
| [...]
|
| OOXML
|
| The last problem is still in development, and the outcome is not really clear
| at the moment. But the root of the problem is ISO’s adoption of OOXML.
|
| [...]
|
| Final words
|
| The main problem behind these cracks in Microsoft’s eco system is of course
| the lack of well proved, open standards. But since Microsoft is not willing
| to support standards, the cracks are there now, and they are huge.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/04/23/microsofts-eco-system-cracks-in-the-reliability/

Linux on the server sees reliability gains

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62040278,00.htm?scid=rss_z_nw