Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Zombies Emit Well Over 100,000,000,000 SPAM Per Day

Homer wrote:
Verily I say unto thee, that bbgruff spake thusly:
The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, bbgruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on
Tue, 12 Aug 2008 23:43:31 +0100
The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

[+] I pay $40 per month for a 1.5Mb/s ISDN connection. There are cheaper plans, I'm sure.
You really meant to type that?

Curious:-)
(snip)

I probably should have said DSL instead of ISDN.
(snip)

Thanks G - *that* was the question! I was just wondering there if you
guys had got some new-fangled version of ISDN:-)

Theoretically one could bond 24 64Kb ISDN channels to achieve 1.5Mb/s
the really hard (and expensive) way, I suppose. Also I believe that each
line only supports 128k ISDN2e, so he'd need to have 12 phone lines too.
In UK (BT) price terms, that's 12 line rentals @ £10.50/month, plus 12
ISDN2e subs @ £97.47/quarter, plus the cost of calls (no flat rate like
ADSL), plus VAT @ 17.5%. That's £7,273.91/year ($13,573.21) including
VAT, but excluding the cost of calls, which according to my experience
might easily be around £1000.00/quarter for a heavily used line, giving
a conservative rounded total of around 10 grand UK (20 grand US) a year.

Ouch!

Compare that to the cheapest (that I could find) ADSL price in the UK
(Sky Broadband) @ £5.00/month or £60/year ($112), for 8*Mb/s*.

Now (just for comparison) I get 8Mb down, 1.2 Mb up for (converting)
$28, and the option of "up to 24Mb" down for about $37, but I doubt
I'd get much more than 8Mb if I opted for it (line condition and distance), so I just go with the cheaper. All "unlimited bandwidth",
but a "fair use" clause.

Our 21CN PSTN switchover target is supposed to be Q3 2011. Until then
I'll have to "make do" with 8Mb/s.

PCPro's analysis of the 21cn switchover in terms of broadband was not very positive. They seem to think that broadband speeds will not benefit that much and the whole 21cn thing is more about BT's internals.