Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Zombies Emit Well Over 100,000,000,000 SPAM Per Day

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Sinister Midget
<fardblossom@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:53:26 -0500
<mdr9n5-pnt.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 2008-08-13, bbgruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>
>> While I have your attention, may I ask what you guys pay typically for a
>> telephone line and national calls?  In fact, considering the size of the
>> U.S., perhaps we ought to say "unlimited calls withing the state!"?
>
> I wouldn't know. I've been using VOIP since 2004. At the time I dropped
> local phone comapny, though, I was paying about $23/month unlimited
> local, plus long distance.
>
> When I lived in Illinois about 14 years ago, I paid about $18/month
> plus 3.4¢ per local call, and the same long distance rate I paid when I
> moved across the river to Missouri, where local calls weren't added to
> the local bill. The monthly bill at that time was about the same price.
>
> I got Vonage for VOIP with the the 500 minute plan and it was costing
> me $16/month (that was local and long distance minutes, but only when
> calling out) when I changed companies. This year I've paid about
> $13/month for unlimited local and long distance. That will go up to
> about $20/month when I renew my deal in October because the price has
> gone up.
>
> Unless I change companies again. Which I might.
>
> But it won't be a local telco. My brother used to work for them. He
> said one of the reasons they give such crappy wired service is because
> they want to push more people to wireless where they make more money. I
> have wireless, but I still need a wired line, and VOIP does the job
> fine.

I get worried about wireless -- all those packets flying
about, easily sniffable.  One might work around that with
encryption; I don't know the details.

The good news: my understanding is that certain cities
are trying to set up citywide Wifi.  The bad news: such
efforts are spotty at best.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  The choice of a GNU generation.
Windows.  The choice of a bunch of people who like very weird behavior on
a regular basis, random crashes, and "extend, embrace, and extinguish".