Reimagining The Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE 4.1 goes a long way to solving that dilemma.
`----

http://www.northdavisroad.net/2008/08/reimagining-the-desktop/

Linux should remain Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I disagree that Linux should concentrate on running native Windows apps. This
| is exactly the opposite of what the community should be doing. If you notice
| more and more companies are working to make Linux their base rather than
| Windows. This frees them of paying tax to MS and stops MS from beating their
| products with tighter Windows integration than they can ever hope to achieve.
|
| So why then would the makers of this open platform turn down the road of
| depending on MS for success. The Linux community needs to develop apps that
| can compete (they already have) and people need to understand that they will
| have to use these apps just as they do when they switch over to Mac. Some are
| never going to come and thats fine. Let them keep paying for something
| inferior. Most of the Linux "drawbacks" are myths anyway. Theres nothing you
| can do to comfort a person that startled at the thought of not seeing a green
| start button. They simply don't want to use their minds.
|
| Also the amount of should do's for Linux is sometimes funny. If we have all
| of these ideas why don't we just do them for those of us that are developers.
| Its a perfect time to get in on the ground floor of this platform and become
| profitable. Its cheaper to be a "Linux" partner than an MS partner.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/three_things_the_linux_desktops_needs_to_do_to_beat_windows#comment-103169

Recent:

Killing the Desktop Metaphor with GNOME

,----[ Quote ]
| The desktop metaphor as we typically know it reproduces some of the concepts
| of the real world, which brings its share of drawbacks. While GNOME still
| uses this metaphor by default, we can, however, customize it to fulfill more
| efficiently the needs of the increasingly complex information flow that we
| experience on a daily basis.
|
| I am aware that this article flogs a three-decade-old zombie horse. I haven't
| yet, however, found a more efficient workflow than the one I am hereby
| presenting, and I would be very interested in comments you may have regarding
| making it better optimized. If you have something you would like me to add to
| this article, praises or expressions of undying love, feel free to email me.
`----

http://open-source.ecchi.ca/?voir=articles/killing_the_desktop

Using the Desktop…why?

,----[ Quote ]
| In Openbox, I’d need an extra program just to add icons to the desktop, but I
| don’t. I don’t have a “QuickLaunch bar” either. Why should I? I have the
| menu, and maybe ten keyboard combinations that open my favorite applications.
| I have a panel at the bottom, but I noticed I don’t use it to navigate
| between my open windows…it’s only there so I know what applications I’ve
| already opened.
|
| [...]
|
| There’s another problem with using the desktop as a place where you store
| files: every time you open a program (as computer users tend to do
| sometimes), you hide them all. I guess that’s why the “Show Desktop” function
| was invented…so you can open even more windows, which will instantly hide
| your icons again.
`----

http://celettu.wordpress.com/2008/07/07/using-the-desktopwhy/

no more desktop icons in 4.1