[News] Fine Applications for the Free (Libre) Linux Phone, Smartphones to Dominate

  • Subject: [News] Fine Applications for the Free (Libre) Linux Phone, Smartphones to Dominate
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:15:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

An Openmoko bike ride

,----[ Quote ]
| Software for the Openmoko has come a long way since the previous model, with
| a pretty large community of developers building up. (I've tried to do my part
| by writing a patch to fix the touchscreen when the screen's rotated into
| landscape mode.) I'm particularly pleased with tangoGPS, which uses data from
| OpenStreetMap and has some great features: you can zoom out to enclose an
| area and ask it to download all of the map tiles inside that area for offline
| viewing, up to a specified zoom level (so, I now have map images for most of
| Massachusetts sitting on my SD card). You can also publish your current
| location and get a moving map of friends.
`----

http://blog.printf.net/articles/2008/08/11/an-openmoko-bike-ride

Beyond the iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Last November, Google announced it would launch its own cell phone software,
| dubbed Android--a similarly compelling mobile Web environment from another
| industry darling. The kicker: It will be available as free open-source code.
|
| [...]
|
| "All cell phones will be smart phones eventually," Jeff Hawkins, inventor of
| the Palm Pilot and Treo, told me the last two times I interviewed him. "If
| you've been in this industry a while, you can see this will happen," he said,
| referring to the trickle-down techonomics of Moore's Law.
`----

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=209600695

Recent:

OpenMoko 2008.8 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko, the folks behind the original open phone design, have released
| OpenMoko 2008.08, which is their first official software stack release in a
| little more than a year. With this release, OpenMoko supports EFL, Qtopia,
| and GTK+ applications on X11. All of the details can be found at
| OpenMoko.org.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjY0NQ

First Openmoko Custom Phone Now Available and Wears a Debian Plaid Kilt

,----[ Quote ]
| The Openmoko Neo Freerunner phone was released only a few weeks ago, and
| already, a customized version called the W.E. Phone is now available for
| purchase. So what's the difference between the naked-as-a-baby Neo and the
| Canadian-based W.E.? The latter comes with a full bundle of custom Google
| applications, on top of the core GNU/Linux OS base with dialing, SMS and
| contacts.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/07/first-openmoko.html

OpenMoko Neo Freerunner - Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Openmoko, born as a Free Software project under  GPL and LGPL license, is
| dedicated to delivering an open software stack on mobile platforms. Openmoko
| shipped its first product, the Neo 1973, on July 9 2007; and then turned into
| a start-up company with one aim: create great mobile products using the
| Openmoko stack: Open. Mobile. Free.
|
| The first Openmoko product, the Neo 1973, sold exclusively through Openmoko
| Online Shop. It sold out in early February 2008.
|
| Openmoko started selling the Neo FreeRunner (GTA02), the second generation of
| Neo, on July 3, 2008. It is available through the Openmoko Online Shop or
| national distributers.
|
| I received my FreeRunner as part of the first batch of orders shipped on July
| 7th.  I've now been playing with it for 10 days and these are my impressions.
|
| [...]
|
| All said and done I really like the phone.  And, like the main devs, am
| hesitant to call it a "phone".  It is really a handheld Linux computer that
| happens to have GPS and a GSM phone built-in.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/7/27/46753

FreeRunner Linux phone sells out, more on the way

,----[ Quote ]
| Less that one week after going on sale via its own e-commerce site, the
| 900MHz version of OpenMoko's Neo FreeRunner Linux phone has sold out, but
| don't despair yet as more are on the way.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/252142/freerunner_linux_phone_sells_more_way

Related:

OpenMoko Developer Preview Sold Out After Unexpected Demand

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/8/6/24279