Re: [News] [Rival] Don't Ever Touch Windows Vista If You Like Audio

* Linonut peremptorily fired off this memo:

>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/31/microsoft.technology

The original is even funnier:

   The following post comes from my colleague Steve Ball, Senior Program
   Manager for Sound in Windows Vista, and continues his team's on-going
   series on how Windows Vista treats various forms of audio.

   Part I: Why does my Windows sound sometimes "glitch?"

   Windows is a rich and complex OS designed for multi-tasking users
   whose tasks must share access to scarce system hardware and
   resources.

[ What, like RAM and CPU cycles! ??? ]

   . . .

   So why do many $2000 PCs occasionally glitch while playing back
   music?  The quick answer is this:  Windows is not a single-function
   device like a CD player.

[ What an admission by Microsoft, that their "latest and greatest" OS
  causes problems on $2000 worth of hardware.  Incredible. ]

   A slightly longer answer goes like this:  even an average Windows
   machine today is commonly used simultaneously as a media player, word
   processor, presentation projector, spreadsheet number cruncher,
   authoring tool, photo editor, media server, video recorder, music
   composition tool, communications device, search engine, virus
   detector, data compressor and decompressor, and backup manager.

[ I know of no person who is capable of simultaneously operating a word
  processor, presentation, spreadsheet, authoring tool, photo editor, and
  music composition tool.  Resident in memory, sure.  Consuming CPU
  cycles?  No. ]

   . . .

I snipped the rest of this excuse-making and sugar-coating.  Time for
the antidote:

   http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9892

   Portable Hard Disk Recorder How-To
   December 1st, 2007 by Dan Sawyer in * HOWTOs

   Use an old laptop to build a multitrack hard disk recorder.

   . . .

   Fortunately, I have an old laptop lying around, and Linux -- unlike
   some other popular operating systems I could name -- has real-time
   hardware preemption, which is essential if one wants to build a hard
   disk recorder. A laptop, of course, will not accept PCI or PCI
   Express cards, so the choice of Pro Audio interfaces is limited to
   the external -- something that can plug in either to the CardBus
   slot or the USB or FireWire port.

   . . .

   After plugging this interface in to my laptop and configuring it
   properly, I have a multitrack hard disk recorder that can
   simultaneously record 24 tracks at a maximum sample rate of 96KHz,
   well above the maximum available sample rate on far more expensive
   commercial HDRs, with more available input tracks.

Of course, you have to build your Linux kernel with real-time support.

But you can do that with Windows Vista or XP, too, right?

--
Nature that framed us of four elements, warring within our breasts for
regiment, doth teach us all to have aspiring minds.