Re: Why Microsoft (and Its Shills) Lie About Linux Installed Base

* Rex Ballard peremptorily fired off this memo:

> I followed your links.  Found some other interesting links.
>
> http://www.kace.com/pdf/KACE_VistaSurvey.pdf
> According to the KACE survey, 44% of the companies surveyed are
> looking to non-windows solutions, and 68% of those are looking at some
> flavor of Linux.

It only makes sense.

> http://tinyurl.com/23sc2s
> Forrester things Linux is pretty hot.
> <quote>
> Linux is becoming a credible threat to Windows on the desktop, and
> will grow over the next year as its distributors continue to work hard
> at making it an enterprise-class offering, research group Forrester
> predicts.
>
> "Will desktop managers continue down the path of standardization on
> the Windows platform, and will Linux not exist on enterprise desktops?
> Not a chance," Forrester analyst Benjamin Gray says in a report
> released Nov. 12 and titled, "How Windows Vista Will Shake Up The
> State Of The Enterprise Operating System."
> </quote>

Is that report generally available, or do you have to pay US$695 to get
it?

> http://www.enduser.co.uk/brsrhits.html

Here are some interesting ones:

   WebAlta Crawler/2.0 (http://www.webalta.net/ru/about_webmaster.html)
   msnbot-media/1.0 (+http://search.msn.com/msnbot.htm)
   Exabot/3.0
   libwww-perl/5.805
   Baiduspider+(+http://www.baidu.com/search/spider.htm)
   findlinks/1.1.3-beta9 (+http://wortschatz.uni-leipzig.de/findlinks/)
   Yeti/0.01 (nhn/1noon, yetibot@xxxxxxxxx, check robots.txt daily and follow it)

Note the grahics at the top of that page.  The first item I can't read.
The second item is IE.  The third is "?"  Their percentages are 18, 48,
and 34.

The last one is huge, yet I don't recall any of those stupid "web hits"
sites mentioning filtering them out.  How do they categorize them?

--
Understand that this is the last physical format there will ever be.
   -- Bill Gates, On Blu-ray. interview The Daily Princetonian (14 Oct 2005)